Macbook Pro or Mac Pro desktop??

I just received my brand new copy 2008 Spotlight. I am a new user and have not installed it yet, but just found out I am able to purchase a new MacBook Pro to run it on.

My question is : Should I get the Macbook Pro with 256 VRAM or do need to wait out for a desktop MacPro with 512 mb of VRAM? Will the Macbook Pro work just fine?

I would prefer the laptop for other reasons but , wouldn't want to hurt the performance of Spotlight because of it.

I will using Spotlight to create a 3D interior view of our main sanctuary, equipped with our lighting plot, virtual band onstage, and some set pieces. At some point I will turn virtual lights on and ask Spotlight to render several diffrent viewpoints.

Has anyone out there used Spotlight on a Macbook Pro , for a similar render?

Thanks

Bill

Edited by Bill at GFC
  • 2 months later...

I've got both and it runs well on each. You won't suffer to run it on a portable, and as most designers need to travel to get back and forth to the theater, city or country of work, a portable is very sensible. I would recommend you not get a 17" as it is a beast to carry. Adding a second monitor on site to your MBP is easy and will really help your working habits.