accessing plan view w/ fills after converting all to 3D

creopate

I'm rather new to this, so hopefully this a rather basic question (with a rather simple answer). After creating a design in plan view, using fills, patterns, hatches, etc..., how do I then go back to what is essentially still a plan view of polygons after I have extruded these polygons into 3D?

I generally like to start going into 3D after doing some basic plans(so that I can render, and also start to get a sense of space, proportion and material). But when I want to go back to plan view for simple presentations using fills, I can't.

What am I missing? Please help!

T

What you are coming up against is the hybrid nature of VectorWorks.

Object (symbols, plug-in objects, Walls, Doors, Windows, roofs, floors, etc.) may (repeate may) have different representations in Top/Plan and other views.

Top/Plan is a 2D view. In Top/Plan any object that has a 2D part will be displayed in its 2D form. As such, these object can have fills, patterns and hatches.

In any view other than Top/Plan it is a 3D view. Any object that has a 3D part (like your extrudes) will display their 3D part. The default 3D rendering mode is wireframe unless you choose something else. 3D object can show fill colors and can also have textures applied to them.

If you want to have objects that will show both 2D and 3D aspects, you have to either use hybrid objects or create your own objects with both 2D and 3D Parts.

The easiest way to do this is to create both the 2D and 3D Parts, align them in a top/plan view and them Create Symbol. If you need to change them, you will have to edit both the 2D and 3D parts of the symbol sepratately.

If you are doing simple extrudes, another option would be to use something like a Floor object that already has the 2D/3D separation built in and automatically generates the 3D from a 2D object and a height.

Pat

Another very simple presentation process uses the Project 2d Objects option in a viewport. In a design layer, place a 2d site plan or floor plan with or without fills showing walls, room numbers, planted areas, etc. Extrude up the building envelope(s) but not the interior features. Add 3d trees, benches, roofs if you like. Create a viewport from this layer and save it on a sheet layer. Select the viewport and click the Project 2d Objects box in the Viewport OIP. All views in the viewport show the 2d objects as if they were real 3d objects. They stay registered with the real 3d objects, but keep their colors even when not rendered. Render in hidden line or other renders to emphasize 3d features. The design layer 2d objects always display in front of the design layer 3d objects. You can create text and other new 2d objects in the sheet layer or in viewport annotation. Send them behind the viewport objects if desired.

-B