Batch Conversion advice

So, I'm planning to do the big upgrade this weekend; batch convert all the files on our server to v13 (and upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5).

Locked files

The first problem I've noticed is that 'Convert in place' isn't going to work unless I unlock all the files on the server. Does anyone know of any Mac OS X Server magic to record which files were locked and then relock them afterwards? (mind you I still have to look up how to batch unlock them first)

Convert layer links into viewports and referenced layers into referenced viewports

This is an interesting one. I still haven't got my head totally around these aspects of v13 yet. Does anyone have any nuggets of wisdom to offer?

Are there any other potential hitches I should look out for?

Very courageous, Minister!

I would not convert all, only those belonging to jobs that are less than, say, 50% complete or are less than, say, 3 months to completion and do not desperately require the use of new features. Completed jobs I'd definitely leave alone. I realise that the users may complain about needing to use two versions, but there may be unforeseen ramifications. These may include delays caused by the Learning Curve or the Unauthorised Implementation of Non-Vital Fancy Things.

But then again, if I ever err, that will be on the side of caution.

---

I'm pretty sure unlocking is AppleScriptable. Maybe even Automatorable.

---

The new-fangled viewport business is a mystery to me. I'd keep things as they are for the time being.

Completed jobs I'd definitely leave alone ... there may be unforeseen ramifications.

Yes, very good point. Maybe I should convert all files but keep the original older versions as well. Because what I'd like to avoid (in the future) is a situation where we can't access a file because we don't have the correct system/software set up.

It would be good if there was an option to convert in place but leave the original where it is and create a folder of the new files on the fly. It would also be good if you could nominate sub-folders to exclude. For the wishlist I guess.

Ideally, of course, we'll run older operating systems and vectorworks versions under virtualisation to ensure we can access files in their original fidelity.

A simple Terminal script will list & sort all the files via permissions.Then, even change permissions , duplicate , gzip, and move the dups to another directory based on some declared criteria.

I really don't see any problem with conversion of All as described ... as long as the originals are securely backed up to a separate volume/drive/dvd/box under the bed.

Most likely you will only need referencing and bits & pieces of those completed projects anyway.

Go for it ... but keep us informed each step of the way.

Maybe I should convert all files but keep the original older versions as well.

You should indeed! And also keep a machine capable of running the old software & OS. (I ditched my first MacPlus only some 5 years ago and only because the Jasmine BackPack - or whatever it was called; you know: the unit you installed at the back of the Mac - hard disk no longer worked and the System diskettes were dead, too. What a pity - although being very young, it would have been nice to revisit MiniCAD 3!)