Sign in to follow this  
mark@custom

Another Vote for 3D dimensioning!

Question

It'd be great if you all could move 3D dimensioning up the priority list for the next release! Sketchup does this! Do I have to go there to get quick dim's in perspective views?

Thanks,

13 answers to this question

Seconded, despite the conceptual problems this poses. I'd be reasonably happy with dimensioning even only in isometric views.

There's a 3D dimensioner available at vectordepot.com

Really? Obviously the contributors of VectorDepot are better programmers than you have at NNA.

Hey - this is needed. Go and buy the technology from the talented programmer in question!

Petri,

It doesn't create a dimension object, but it gives you measurement readings (nurbs curves) in the 3D envt.

I think it's free, by the way.

There's a 3D dimensioner available at vectordepot.com

Unfortunately, the converted dimensions lose their VW properties. They become a group of 3d polys - not exactly what we're asking for.

George,

I realize it's not 100% of what you are looking for. I was trying to provide an option rather than nothing at all.

There are many users who are not aware of vectordepot.com. I try to suggest it as often as possible.

Katie,

The restrictions of VW's 2D environment seem to be inhibiting the development of some features (3D dims & text) that users have been asking about for some time. The earliest post I could find on this subject is dated 01/05/00.

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=7&Number=6601&Searchpage=2&Main=1677&Words=%26quot%3B3D+dimensioning%26quot%3B&topic=0&Search=true#Post6601

George

Edited by G_Hannigan

Is this one of the most amazing things possible ... or what !

A 20yr old App. claiming to be a fully integrated 2d/3d design&engineering environment...lacking the ability to dimension in 3d ( ortho-iso or whatever ) !

Somebody had better send that kid back to school.

You can design and Render that fancy-schmancy 3d Cube in Vectorworks... just don't try to dimension it ; )

Thanks Katie,

I've been using the 3d dimension conversion plugin from vectordepot. As has been stated, it converts the dim's to 3d polygons and the conversion seems to require lots of "malice of forthought" regarding the text size and class management.

It's a bummer that the dimension arrows and etc go away during the conversion process.

I think I'll try OZcad next.

Thanks again.

Edited by mark@custom