Rotate view

What you need to do is to create a new working plane oriented to the surface of the 3D object. You can do this with 3 clicks using the working planes palette. There is additional instruction in the help about this as well. Just look up working planes.

We do have that feature. I use it pretty regularly.

1) Set the working plane using the Set Working Plane Tool.

2) In the Working Planes dialog click the icon that looks like an eye looking at a grid (bottom left-hand corner - "Look at Working Plane"). Save the new plane in this dialog.

3) Get the object(s) where you want it(them) on the screen by zooming/panning/etc. Set class/layer visibilities. Save the resulting view.

Works like a champ...

Would someone please advise how I can rotate my 3D view to align with an existing face/object?

Or alternatively, how I can project a Nurbs arc onto a surface without my view being perpendicular to the direction I want the arc to project?

I hope I am making myself clear.

Richard,

The second part of your question:

Once you have created a Working Plane on the desired face, you can draw with the NURBS arc without having to reorient the view. Select the NURBS arc tool & start drawing, it should appear on the new working plane.

Take a look in the VW Help file under Working Plane for a lot more info.

George

Edited by G_Hannigan

2) In the Working Planes dialog click the icon that looks like an eye looking at a grid (bottom left-hand corner - "Look at Working Plane"). Save the new plane in this dialog.

Working Planes dialog?

AHHHHHHH! Yes, when one chooses the (unused & unmodified) Designer workspace there is a minimised palette called WP! I've just closed it every time: I've never liked WordPerfect.

So, there is something expertly hidden "in the bottom drawer of a locked filing cabinet, stuck upside-down, in a disused toilet with a sign on the door saying 'BEWARE OF THE LEOPARD!"

I love this user interface!

Working Planes dialog?

AHHHHHHH! Yes, when one chooses the (unused & unmodified) Designer workspace there is a minimised palette called WP! I've just closed it every time: I've never liked WordPerfect.

Ahhh...Petri...here's where you're going wrong. In the LANDRU WorkSpace, though kept off to the side and out of the way, the Working Planes dialog is kept open and easy-to-find.

Oh, and BTW, I'm a die-hard WordPerfect user.