camera cutting through models

azizg

I'm using Vectorworks 12.5.0.

I've create a model of a building in one file. In another file I've created a model of the land. I've created a third file which uses Workgroup References to link the two together.

I set up a view of the building in the first file, and every thing works fine when I render it in 'final quality renderworks' mode. (see picture below)

picture7kl5.jpg

I then set up the same view in the third 'Workgroup Referenced' file, which includes both the building model and the land model. Every thing looks OK. (seen below in wire frame)

picture81ky7.jpg

The problem occurs when I try to render this model in 'final quality renderworks' mode. (see picture below) The line marked in red is where the camera cuts a section through every thing. As you can see the line is rather unfortunately in front of the building in this view, but not in other views.

picture6ce1.jpg

When I render the model in 'shaded polygon' mode it works correctly (see picture below)

picture9fv9.jpg

Is there some known reason for this? More importantly is there some known way of getting rid of it?

Thank you for any help.

That's a good one. I would have to guess it is memory thing. I see that you have 768MB Ram, and that model (in particular the "land") looks like you'd need more then that to get this rendered in F.Q.

From the wireframe, there appears to be a number of 3D trees that fall off and out of view from the interior. I would try deleting all of the these to see if it renders correctly.

I would also consider replacing all of the 3D trees with image props, RenderWorks ships with a library of hundreds of image prop trees in the X-Frog library. I use these propos exclusively. They render much faster (MUCH) with a much smaller RAM footprint. They do look photo-realistic which can be a good or bad thing depending on the look your trying to create.

If you're worries about good shadowing, the image props will work fine for you current view. Were they can start to look less then ideal is in high aerial views.

Lastly, if you created all of your trees as symbols, after importing the image prop of choice into you file, you can just edit the symbol, past in the prop while deleting the 3D tree, and viola.

Thank you both for getting back to me. Alas it doesn't sound like there is a magic "fix it" button, so I guess it will require a bit of fiddling around and experimentation, a bit annoying.

Michael, I was actually using a desktop with 3.5GB of Ram, but that doesn't mean that rap isn't the problem. I've never actually used image props before, but I'll give them a go.

Cheers