VW 2008 Place Plant doesn't see new items in Plant Database

tinar

I have added new plants to my VW2008 Plant Database, and now when I go to the Place Plant tool, and select a symbol, and try to attach the plant data to it, the new plants don't show up in the lists. However, if I go to Landmark/VW Plant Database, and bring up the data base, my new plants are there.

Do I need to re-synchronize my Place Plant tool somehow?

I've already gone through the close VW and restart computer option. No changes.

Any ideas? Did I miss a step?

Tina Roushall

WinXP Media, Laptop, Intel Core Dual, 1G RAM

Tina,

If you have a look in your User Folder in the folder Plant Database you should see several text files

Okies - when you are in the database itself and you enter a new plant in GENERAL INFORMATION - Broad Catagory are existing and definable fields - these are where the text files in the User Folder should come from.

So enter the new plant giving it a catagory in Broad Catagory - then do a find for that catagory - should give you just the plants in that catagory - then File - Create Vectorworks Plant List - should send it to the User Folder as a new or updated text file

HTH

Thank you, Darrel. I've got it now.

I think it was confusing to me that there is the Plant Database, but that the Plant Lists that show up from the Place Plant tool only looks at the Plant Lists - which are really snapshots at some point in time, of your selected Vines, Shrubs, Perennial, Favorites, etc. I'm not familiar with Filemaker, but I am hoping there is a way to run a script to run a "refresh" of the lists.

Thanks again,

Tina

Tina,

After you add a new plant or alter edit in in the Plant Database - do a Find again in Broad Catagory - then File - Create Vectorworks Plant List - should send it to the User Folder as a new or updated text file as per my previous post and that will update the Text File.

In other words that is how to keep your Text Files up to date.

I know it is a little confusing but think of it like this perhaps - the Text Files are links between the Database and Plant information you can get from the Database so they have to be 'refreshed' when you add/alter/edit a Plant in the Database.

Conversely - say in a Plant in VW you discovered in a Worksheet you had a missing entry for Spread for a particular Plant - you would go back into the Database - fix the Spread for that Plant - do a Find in Broad Catagory - File - Create Vectorworks Plant List - back into VW - Recalculate the Worksheet and the revised Spread Data should be fixed.