holes-in-walls

mike-h

anyone help me to cut a doorway in a hole, without putting a door in in? I have an internal wall that goes up to meet the pitched roof, and wants a walkway of 1200mm x 2100mm cutting through /removing from it. I can't find any reference in the help, or in my book, though I'm sure it must be basic stuff!

ace, just the ticket - I was looking for that option at the door creation stage, rather than going back to edit. Thanks.

Now - any idea why only a few of the wall layers display at one time? theres always a bit of ply or suchlike missing from the onscreen preview - I know its there because I can snap to it, but I cant see it which irritates me, partiularly at junctions...

There was a Wall Opening tool once upon a time.

Then someone at NNA realised that it is too simple to use and it was discontinued: surely the users must be made to suffer, agonise and get confused every time they use NNA's PIOs. Otherwise, the situations that are not agonising and confusing suffering would give them the impression that things could be simple and easy and demand that for all PIOs.

To paraphrase a passage of the famous essay by Umberto Eco:

NNA PIOs are Protestant, or even Calvinistic. They allow free interpretation of scripture, demand difficult personal decisions, impose a subtle hermeneutics upon the user, and take for granted the idea that not all can achieve results they expect. To make the system work you need to interpret the parameters yourself: Far away from the baroque community of carefree designers, the user is closed within the loneliness of his own inner torment.

wall layer display issues -

have (not) attached my drawing if anyon has time for a look. As far as I can work out, I have created 2 new wall styles - Longshaw internal and Longshaw Larch Studs. They should have 3 layers and 5 layers (or components) respectively. But in the drawing I can only see 2-3. Exporting as a PDF (after knocking most line weights down to 0.05) suggests the rest aren't there..any ideas where they are + how I can make them show?

actually I can't seem to attach a file, will happily email to anyone whos up for it...

It is the drawing they're not showing up in... heres a screenshot of the situation - the interior walls should have 15mm ply either side - rather than one only, and the exterior walls should have 15mm (you can see the gap) ply then 2x25mm (one only shows). All class visibilities are on, and anyway, all the wall layers are in the same class as they were drawn at the same time. Where are my wall layers? Has someone stolen them?

a side issue - on opening the drawing this morning I can't seem to select anything - if I select all, the object info tells me theres 69 objects, and theres a few joists off to the side, on the same layer that I can select, but my current drawing - walls, symbols etc - none of it will select...any Ideas? Am I being really dim? I have tried select all - unlock and its not that. Yesterday I could double click on a door and edit it - not today. help!

(F1 doesn't offer me much here, or I dont know what search term to use!)

Actually it seems as I dont have a webpage I cant post an image - I will try and email a file to the address on your linked page, or can you give me a better address. It says in the FAQ that if using Mozilla 4+ you can add a file at the preview stage of replying, but I am using version 5 and couldn't see the option.

There is a preference in Document Preferences>Display that will show/not show wall components according to the scale of the drawing. See if that has an effect.

Re your selection issues, you may have had your layers or classes set to Show Others which would let you see things but not select them.

There is a preference in Document Preferences>Display that will show/not show wall components according to the scale of the drawing. See if that has an effect.

thanks - thats a handy thing, and now I know it I will use it in future, but its not the issue here, with the box checked it shows the wall without an outside edge at all (the outer edge was one of the missing layers)

Re your selection issues, you may have had your layers or classes set to Show Others which would let you see things but not select them.

I did play around with all the layer/ class options at the time, and it didn't help me. puzzled!