Arrow Heads in Viewports and in Sketch Mode

I have noticed some oddities with arrow heads as displayed in viewports.

If I draw a line with arrow head style #1 on a design layer, the arrow point occurs at the end point of the line. But when I display this in a viewport, the line extends slightly past the point of the arrow head. This is barely noticable when printed, so I have never really noticed it before, but it does not seem right.

But what is very noticable is if you render the viewport in Sketch mode, and have the sketch mode set for line overstrike, the line extends way past the arrow head, and worse yet, when you print this drawing, on the output, there is a double arrowhead, one at the true endpoint of the line, and another at the endpoint of the overstrike extension.

Can anyone else confirm this? It would seem to me that sketch mode should be designed to not overstrike the end of a line that has arrow head in the first place.

Katie,

I did this from version 12.5 Architect. I do not know if this is different in version 2008, but you can do the same test on any machine. And it does not seem to matter what printer is used, since for this test I just printed to PDF and I still got the double arrow heads.

Ideally it would seem to me that the arrow head should be the same in all of the different examples, but it is different in every one.

A minor addition to the previous examples: Draw a line using the polygon tool, apply an arrow and then observe that the line extends slightly past the arrowhead. With Zoom Line Thickness turned off the screen displays the arrow without the extended line; however a print will always show the extended line. (Hardware acceleration, vector caching and quartz imaging settings seem to have no effect).

Bob

MacOS10.4.10, VW12.5.2