extruded objects in plan view

I know this is really fundamental question but I can't easily find the answer. While drawing 2d project I wish to extrude some objects (I'm doing some urban design)to have a nice 3d model. Is there a way to have a polygon with solid hatch visible as a plane while in 3d view? And when I extrude object it loses it's colour/hatch properties in plan view while I'd like it to be still a 2d object in plan view and 3d object in 3d view (I bet it has something to do with hybrid objects...).

Create a hybrid object -

Create the polygon. Apply a hatch to this

Duplicate the polygon and extrude the duplicate.

While you can't apply a hatch to a 3D object, you can create a texture (if you have RW) from an image of the hatch, and apply that texture to the extrude.

You can do it with hybrids. Create your 2D object with the hatch. Duplicate it. Extrude it to Z=? Select the original 2D object and the extruded object and then select "Create Symbol" (under the Modify menu). This creates a hybrid. In top/plan view you see the 2d object. In any 3d view you see the extruded object. Hope this helps!

Hatch, schmatch. Why can't it be a colour fill? Avoid extrusions as plague. Not that a floor would be particularly easy to edit, but at least it is possible.

Draw a polygon, say "Let there be a Floor..."

Maybe the Massing Model object would do it too? (I have no idea what it does as I have my own parametric building object - for urban design projects...)