wall tool - basics

mike-h

I am trying to set up a drawing of a stud walled timber building, I have made a new wall style - 25mm cladding, 25mm battens,15mm ply 200mm gap for studs + insulation, 15mm ply...

but the screen view shows the 2x25mm as a 50mm layer, then a 215 mm layer, then a 15 mm, as if it can only preview a max of three layers. Is there a way to get the view to accurately show the layers?

I've created a 2dsymbol of my studs and now want to insert within the 200mm gap - these are mostly doubled up, but are single at the corners. Is the symbol route the best way or should I try and incorporate within the wall style?

likewise, creating a pattern/ hatch for my insulation - UK style that is! Should I make it part of the wall style, or try and draw it over the top?

thanks for any help on this..

Is the symbol route the best way or should I try and incorporate within the wall style?

As good as any: you can't do it. Even if you could, the Wall Style would not be intelligent enough to place studs where they should be in. Try Wall Framer for this. You get at least somewhere. (Don't the "apathetic and disinterested building workers" in the U.K. even know how to construct a stud wall? Blimey!)

likewise, creating a pattern/ hatch for my insulation - UK style that is! Should I make it part of the wall style, or try and draw it over the top?

Can't be a part of the wall style. Maybe they do not have insulation in McMansions?

actually I'm drawing up an existing building for a student project - a structural case study - the building is quite innovative in its use of timber so its really important all the members are in the right place. Our cheerful building contractors actually managed to construct it like this too (apparently!).!

It seems unlikely I can 'build' a model as it is so I am making traditional 2d plans and sections with extensive use of the double line tool!

don't know about the US building regs, but Rural Studio seem to have the sort of fun with building that suggests there aren't many!

the french don't seem to worry about insulation too much either!

can I come back to the point

but the screen view shows the 2x25mm as a 50mm layer, then a 215 mm layer, then a 15 mm, as if it can only preview a max of three layers. Is there a way to get the view to accurately show the layers?

this seems the same on my internal walls with only three layers - it only shows me 2 on screen, but the other one can be snapped to. Can I up the screen view quality or anything?

heres a screenshot of the situation (hopefully - how do you find the url of a document on a mac?) - the interior walls should have 15mm ply either side - rather than one only, and the exterior walls should have 15mm (you can see the gap) ply then 2x25mm (one only shows). All class visibilities are on, and anyway, all the wall layers are in the same class as they were drawn at the same time. Where are my wall layers? Has someone stolen them?

a side issue - on opening the drawing this morning I can't seem to select anything - if I select all, the object info tells me theres 69 objects, and theres a few joists off to the side, on the same layer that I can select, but my current drawing - walls, symbols etc - none of it will select...any Ideas? Am I being really dim? I have tried select all - unlock and its not that. Yesterday I could double click on a door and edit it - not today. help!

(F1 doesn't offer me much here, or I dont know what search term to use!)

Picture 2.pdf

I thought it might be like a shortcut where you usually hit 'browse' then navigate to the file. As far as I can make out I can only post a picture if I have a web page (I dont) - the FAQ suggests you can post a file at the reply-preview stage if using mozilla 4+, I'm using firefox 5 and the attachment option didn't appear. So thats me stuffed for posting files?!

To post your PDF click File Manager when you are creating your post, click Choose File to browse for the file you want to post, then click Add File to have it upload to the board. You will see the file name in the file manager window.

By the way, it's not a good idea to create two threads with duplicate text. Makes it confusing.

Ace! thanks for that - the original drawing file should be attached now, and a Jpeg of the screenshot (the file manager spat the PDF back at me).

The internal walls should be 2x 15mm ply outer layers, the ext walls should be (from the outside) 2x25mm, 15mm, 200mm, 15mm.

The 2 threads is definately a bad Idea - I'm not sure how it happened. I'll post a msg on the other referring any more discussion to this one as they're now the same issue.

thanks