Separate plant lists for separate printed sheets

dhbrown

Does anyone know how to set up a plant list so that I have a list on my sheet dwg called Front Yard Gardens and one for the Back Yard Gardens? I don't want the back yard plants to show up on my front yard garden sheet, and vice versa. I don't want to have to make a note on both sheets' plant list that this plant is in the front, and this plant is in the back, etc. I don't want to have to export, then import the list thru Excel, etc Thanks.

There are different ways to do it

Classes can do it - have a Class for your front garden and another for your back garden

You can use a 'Location Polyline' - if you can draw a polyline around each area - give each a name in the Data Tab of the OIP and use them to call the info into your Worksheets

Give the polygon a name. Use "Location" as a criterion in the report.

This is a very powerful feature. I do furniture schedules using it. One needs several "databases" in the worksheet, though.

However, now as it is possible to edit "Data Records" in reports, even when Sum-med, in some circumstances one can easily enter data into a set of objects - eg. Location. (Surely a field like that is in all NNA databases. No? Goodness me!)

cruisin/petri

thanks for that fabulous 'location' tip!

i hoped that LOC might be usable as

a column header + thus be able to

sort by location as well, but no...

i also got all excited that is might

even work with 'spaces', but not...

it really could be useful to be able to

use a space's 'space name' as a location

container

thanks again

Well, "Location" is a geographic calculation (or operand) and an object can be located in any number of named polygons, so it is ambiguous. It's not a property of the object, not a parent-child relationship, not an association with inheritance capability, not a set.

For reporting, you need a data record with explicit, arbitrary data for the location(s).

This is wonderful!! Just what I've been looking for. However, when one of you mentioned putting a polygon around my desired plants and naming it, you lost me. So, after playing around with it myself, I found that simply highlighting the plants with a box (just with the cursor, not with any geometry), then clicking the Data tab in the Obj Info, finding the "Location" that I had added to my Records Format of Plant Record, typing "front" (do the same for the back), they all now have that location attached to them. Now when I set the criteria for the "front" plants on my sheet that has just the viewport with my front yard plants, only they show up on the sheet! I figured out you DO need to create 2 separate reports for the Front and for the Back. If you don't, and you change the criteria on your 'front' sheet and on your 'back' sheet, it will change...but it will read the same on BOTH sheets since it is the SAME report. Make one with the title Front Plant List and the other Back Plant List so that when you look for them in your Res Brows, you'll see the two different ones. THIS IS SOOOOO GREAT :) Oh, the things I can do with this now....

Yes, since you'll just use Class as the criterion for listing them. I'm going to play with this today in fact, setting my Plant List up so that I have them as Shrubs, Trees, Perennials, etc. I'll also have the Location criterion there as well, since I'll still be making my printed sheets showing viewports of front and back, etc.

• 2 months later...

Forgive me, but this is pitiful. Is there anyone who does planting design who does NOT separate plants by trees, shrubs, groundcovers, perennials etc. in plant schedules? Do architects list door and windows and bathroom fixtures in the same schedule? How can this exceptionally common, standard task have been unsupported since at least Mini-Cad 3.0? Yes, I remember that in 1991.

Petri seems to have a system, but I don't have a clue as to what she is talking about. Frankly, users should not have to be database wizards to do this simple and common task.

The Landmark package, presumably makes planting specific tasks easier. The Byzantine work-arounds listed here make the 'plant list' worksheet more of a time waster than a time saver.

See also the earlier thread by dhbrown, on 'How to edit the category of plants in my Res Brows.' The length of that thread together with this thread says a lot about this problem.

I'm just feeling really fed up with this issue.

Plant definitions have had a category field for a long time. This is not new in 2008. To do the schedule you have to set up the criteria in your plant schedule worksheet to 'sort' the plants according to this field.

The worksheet included in the Plant Objects file is set up this way and can serve as a model.

That being said you have to ensure that the plants have the correct values in the Category field and that all the categories you use will be reported on the worksheet. Do this in the plant definition.

Similarly you could limit the plant schedule worksheet to report by class, or by layer. That being said I wouldn't recommend using class to set the Category when you already have a way to set it as it would just complicate the drawing process. I might use class to set the phase and use classes like 'Plants-Phase 1' etc.