DWG import on 2008 vs. 12.0

gschoenthal

Question

In VW 12.0 I had setup a simple automator action that allowed import of a dwg very easily. I could select a dwg file in the Finder, right click on it to activation the context menu and then select my automator action.

The automator (see attached file) then got the selected finder item and opened them with the specified version of VW. On opening the file, it imported it into the default template that I had.

This does not seem to work with VW 2008. I have changed the target application in my automator action.

Does anyone know why this is? Any suggestions on what to do? I don't have to use this method to open my dwg's, but something as easy and similar would be great.

5 answers to this question

This does not seem to work with VW 2008. I have changed the target application in my automator action.

If you include a simple a VectorScript to the action, you may at least get the import dialog. VW is not particularly AppleScriptable, but it knows one word of AppleScript: Do Script.

A Folder Action? Maybe.

I run a lot of my generic utilites from FileMaker Pro with this overall approach.

However, one has never been able to "Open" a DWG-file with VW.

If you include a simple a VectorScript to the action, you may at least get the import dialog. VW is not particularly AppleScriptable, but it knows one word of AppleScript: Do Script.

A Folder Action? Maybe.

I run a lot of my generic utilites from FileMaker Pro with this overall approach.

However, one has never been able to "Open" a DWG-file with VW.

In 12.0 it wasn't that I could "open" a dwg, but with the automator action that I wrote, I could automatically import a dwg into an untitled window from finder window. This was particularly convenient.

I am definitely interested in what you suggest, but I have never worked with vectorscript and my apple script experience is mostly simple modifications to existing programs. I'll give anything a try though.

Thanks for the help.

You seem to know much more about AppleScripting & Automator than I do and ever will...

However, if I were you, I'd triple-check the target application. I don't think menu names have changed since VW 12; if you have something like "DoMenuTextByName" in the script, it should still work.