Plant list costs calculate strangely

dhbrown

Lately when I create a plant list, the extended prices usually come out correctly but the "cost" is strange. For instance, I have a qty of 32 particular plants on the dwg at a cost of $17.00 each. The extended comes out right at $544. However, in the 'cost' column, it states $85. Coincidently it just so happens that I have 5 groups of these plants but it wouldn't be multiplying these 5 groups by $17 would it? If so, how to I set it up so that it doesn't do that??

My system is Mac OSX v. 10.4.10, VW 12.5.2

I think you are looking at the header row of the database. This section displays the sum of the column or a count of items if they are not numbers.

You probably want to hide the header row and put your own sum function in a worksheet row instead for your cost total. The formula would be something like =sum(B4) to sum all of the numbers in coumn B of the database that has it's headers in row 4.

Pat

Hi Pat. Thanks for the reply but unfortunately it's not the database header row. I wish it were. I always turn that off. This is actually multiplying the cost of each plant by the grouped plants I have. If I place 6 single plants (cost is $4.15 ea) on the dwg, the PRICE comes up at $4.15. This is correct. (the extended price is then $24.90, also correct). If I place 2 groups of plants with 3 in each group (again, 6 plants total), the system marks the PRICE as $8.30 (2 x 4.15), and this is the problem. (The Extended price comes up correct again with $24.90.) I've checked on some of my earlier dwgs and they are correct. It seems to have started doing it when we updated to the latest version of the VW12. I sent my file to Vectorworks and she said it came in alright (she had me check the formula for that column and it is set correctly according to her), so it must be something on my end...I'm not a computer person so I'm hoping someone out there can help. Thanks.

I FOUND THE PROBLEM after 4 man-hrs of experimenting!!! If you use one of the default plant lists, it works fine because all of the defaults have obviously been set up, even if you don't know what they are. However, if you create a NEW report, you MUST remember to add the SUM icon on the Price column!! So to create a new report, go to Tools >Reports >Create a Report. When it opens, after filling out the data you want (we 'Summarize items with the same: botanical name'...you can choose what you want), click OK. The new report opens up. The icons for the Ascending and Descending order, and the Sum icon are greyed out. Click on the 2 row and they are now black and usable. Click and drag the SUM icon, placing it on the Botanical column (I don't know why we must do this since we clicked the block for 'Summarize items with the same; botanical name') and the PRICE column and behold, the price for each plant shows up! A very simple thing that can make you go batty when you've got many dwgs with the wrong info and the clock is ticking..!! We've just started creating our own things such as this Plant list, etc so we're finding out things good and bad. My advise; when in doubt look at an existing item like this, and scrutinize it with a fine toothed comb! How many times did we see that Sum icon, yet didn't see it? I hope this saves others from this exasperating problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Donald Ward-thank you for your kind words, but I did contact tech support. I sent the file over to Katie and it worked fine for her. So I had to dig deeper. Besides, I also contacted someone on the phone and she said some things I'm having problems with are training issues, and that I would have to pay for that. Thanks again though!

• 7 years later...