Layer Locking

Chris D

Question

I know you can lock individual objects, but sometimes you really want to lock a whole layer.

For instance when a site survey is used as a base layer to a site plan, you want to lock the whole layer so that the original survey information doesn't get corrupted.

Now this layer-locking wouldn't work quite the same as object locking. If a layer were locked, then it's objects wouldn't be 'selectable', in contrast to locked objects now (they would still be snappable, but not selectable). The current object lock has a flaw - that when selecting objects to work on, locked objects are selected too, and reported in the OIP. In fact if you select 10 unlocked lines and just 1 locked line, the OIP reports 11 locked lines.

Now the functionality I desire is ALMOST fulfilled by the grey/snap layers setting, but not quite. Grey/Snap is simply a visual setting, and does not allow the user to lock layers on drawings that are then worked on by other users in the team, who may change visual settings frequently, thus unlocking those greyed layers inadvertently.

The current object locking is too limited. I suggest it is supplemented by layer locking in the manner described.

(Fellow forum members please note the word supplemented before making comments about me wishing to do away with your favorite method of object locking.)

10 answers to this question

I nearly wished for something more comprehensive like that (guess I should search the wishlist first), but I thought that something simple and clear like layer-locking might stand a better chance of being implemented.

Agree with your wider wishes though, but probably not the passwords bit. File permissions is the one thing OS X gets wrong too often - they're always getting corrupted and locking people out of their own files.

Ah well, users change visibilities frequently, and without thought - but they don't unlock objects (or layers) without thinking...hang on...why is this locked.

If something in a file I open is greyed - somebody just left it that way.

If something in a file I open is locked - I try to establish why they locked it.

Some thoughts Chris:

- Select All on the Layer and Lock it

- Select All on the Layer, Group and possibly lock it (use None for the 'container' Class).

- Layer Link the information into a separate Layer.

All of these are workarounds, and don't provide the functionality I describe.

- Reference the information in from a separate file (best option).

Good point, well made. The only reason I can't do this is that we don't work "off the server" so my path wouldn't be static. This too would limit me working on files remotely on a laptop, or my home Mac.

The site survey (third party data) was just an example anyway. What about grid layers, structural layers that are signed-off etc - having to use references makes the process overly cumbersome to achieve some very simple functionality - tick the "lock layer" box.

Good point, well made. The only reason I can't do this is that we don't work "off the server" so my path wouldn't be static.

Firstly, you probably should, at least partly. Secondly, you can use "relative path". (Why do paths change, by the way?)

This too would limit me working on files remotely on a laptop, or my home Mac.

How come? There is a copy of the referenced data in your file where ever you go.

The plan is to work off the server when we move to new offices next year - the network can't handle us working off the server at the mo.

Paths change simply because we copy and email files around, and don't keep stuff static on the server other than archived copies of one form or another, at issues in, issues out, stage record etc.

Not best practice I know - hence the need for a bit of order out of the chaos with some office CAD standards alluded to in other threads.

but that's off topic..

The site survey (third party data) was just an example anyway. What about grid layers, structural layers that are signed-off etc - having to use references makes the process overly cumbersome to achieve some very simple functionality - tick the "lock layer" box.

still stands...