workgroup referances

does anyone know a way of workgroup referencing a drawing that is created solely from workgroup references? an odd question you might think, but a situation that comes about quite often with key plans etc.

any help would be much appreciated :)

Edited by shedkm

thats the way I'm having to do it, but if you have a long series of workgroup references i.e in my case 12 apartments that all need refing in and then layer linking to rotate them in to place, it would be great if there was a way of simply referencing this composite file for future usage... any thoughts? I have a feeling I'm trying to push the boundaries to far?!

thanks

With VW 2008, you don't need layer linking. You would create a design layer viewport, with the source data coming in via a workgroup reference. The DLVPs can be rotated, duplicated, cropped, etc.

Are you suggesting in each file you have referenced information, and all the information as a whole is referenced in a single drawing?

If not, please explain the file structure and the goal. I think we can work something out.

We demonstrate this specific feature in the VectorFest events where unit floor plans of an assisted living center are referenced in. There are many different unit plans, as well as the building envelope, structural elements, etc. all referenced in. From that file, details, sections, worksheets, etc. can all be generated.

Katie, not sure if this was what the question was originally about, but my question is this:

If I reference an apartment plan into an apartment block plan, then reference the apartment block plan into a site plan, does the 'nested reference' (the apartment plan) come through to the site plan?

I could test this...but you can tell me quicker...

hi katie,

we run vector works 12.5 + what I'm trying to do is this...

I've got a series of base drawings:

overall floor setout

+ 12 separate apartments plans

all of which are used in their own right. these are then (in a separate file) all ref'd in (with the apartment plans requiring layer linking + rotating due to the existing building being 'all over the place') to create an always upto date General arrangement drawing. hopefully that makes some sense...

what I'd like to do is then reference this file (composed of purely work group references) into new drawings. for reasons such as key plans, more detailed plan drawings etc...

if there is a way of doing this it would be much appreciated (2008 sounds much better by the way but we probably wont upgrade for a little while unfortunately)

thanks

Shedkm,

You can do this in VW 12, but the information is actually written to the files. If each file is 10+ MB in size, you will end up with a file well over 100MB in size.

In VW 2008, this is done with much more finesse, and the information is not written to the file. This makes updating much faster, drafting / redraws / renderings much faster, and keeps the file sizes down to a minimum. In addition, because the information is not written, issues like duplicate layer / class / resource naming conventions are tossed out the window. You can have a "Design-Layer-1" in every single file you reference in. In VW 12, each file has to have an independent layer structure, and the class structure (if used to manage attributes) has to be identical (otherwise one file will override another files' setting). This is where the administrative overhead comes in to play with VW 12. You really have to stay on top of file management if you choose do this in VW 12.

• 2 weeks later...

Katie,

Is the DLVP only available in 2008 Architect or can Fundamentals accomplish this? Also, when I refrence in another 2008 file it prompts me to change the design layer name b/c of a duplicate is this due to our 2008 fundamentals? Can this be fixed with the Architect version?

If I reference an apartment plan into an apartment block plan, then reference the apartment block plan into a site plan, does the 'nested reference' (the apartment plan) come through to the site plan?

It does, but because the [already] referenced viewport in the second file is assigned to a single class, you lose the ability to control its "component" class visibility in the third file (and beyond). This is IMO a shortcoming as a progressive referencing scheme would cut down on the total number of references across a project set.

V-G.