2008 and Cinema 4D 10.5

Is 2009 going to break the plug-in again?

No problem with that of course, as long as it's communicated to buyers of VectorWorks and as long there's communication between Maxon and NNA to minimise the amount of time between the release of VectorWorks and the release of a new plugin (preferably no time at all).

Ha !

Yes, Vectorworks 2009 is rumored to break no plug-ins, work with everything perfectly and be a free upgrade AND be delivered in February 2008, a month earlier.

right.

As long as NNA continues to compete against the strengths of companies like Maxon, Autodesk will continue its dominance, in the marketplace. Just my opinion.

So. Here I sit with five licenses waiting to be upgraded to VW2008. It's going to cost us thousands of dollars in new software and hardware. We're a small company and this money means a lot to us but hopefully we'll reap the benefits of greater productivity.

CD4 runs fine on Vista 64bit with 4GB ram taking full advantage of the four core Intel chip thus speeding up our productivity.

Updating Vectorworks, on the other hand; sigh, means I have to strip out 2GB of RAM thus crippling the other software.

Even IF VW 2008 did run with 4Gb we'd still have to delay upgrading until someone in France can patch the CD4 Exchange plugin.

To me it seems that it's in Nemetschek's interest to help out with the plugin 'coz-we-ain't-gunna-doing-no-stinkin-upgrade until everything works together.

In the meantime we're losing money in lost productivity...

Of course, it'd be Christmas come early if someone can contradict our predicament

Edited by Wayfarer

You tell em Wayfarer!

I have contacted Maxon regarding the VW12.5 C4D plugin, and they have confirmed that there is a bug.

The bug is that materials on symbols are deleted when updating your vectorworks file.

The architect version of C4D comes with the VW plugin but still has the same update problem.

Looks like the French owe us users an apology!

I have tested Vectorworks on an XP-64 bit machine and it doesn't work with 4 gig. Im going to try it on a Vista 64- bit machine but im not holding my breath.

My advice is:

DO NOT UPGRADE!

Stick with VW12.5 and C4D 9.5

Until both C4D get the bug fixed, have a simple install program (insted of installing 4 patches) and vectorworks stops crashing.

Oh yea, halve the price of the upgrades, and stop splitting up all the tools into industry groups.

The French will never surrender to that, petercard! :)

Our reseller has just informed me that VW2008 with SP1 runs with Vista 64bit and 4Gb ram. Yippeeee! :)

(The release notes didn't specifically say Vista 64Bit only:

QuickTime Error encountered on Windows 64bit computers with 4GB of Ram installed

Now over to the CD4 forums ;)

I'd like to remind you that if it weren't for Maxon and the French subcontractor, you would have no solution. I would suggest you save your ire for NNA. those of us that depend on the plugin should just speak their language - "no cooperation, no upgrade".

Of course I've decided to convert all my work to Renderworks, becasue in Vectorworks 2010, coming out in May 2008, Renderworks will not only be better than C4D, Maya or 3Dstudio, but will pad my hours and bill them for me, while I'm napping.

good night, and good luck.

I got cinema4d a few years back, but gave up on it because I didn't want to go through the remapping process. I love the integration of renderworks with VW, you really can't beat the continuity. But it does seem to me like the two companies are secure in the fact that their market has been divided, and thus conquered. Why should either company help the other if it doesn't affect the bottom line?

Perhaps....the solution would be for NNA to develop Renderworks Pro. A robust render package that gives vw users the rendering power they want, that NNA controls.

Why should either company help the other if it doesn't affect the bottom line?

Because it does affect the bottom line. It's obviously in Maxon's bottom line interest to have Cinema4D work with as many modellers as possible, because more people will be inclined to purchase it and use it in conjunction with their favourite modelling app.

And it's in NNA's interests for the same reason, except that they don't get it.

We don't buy RenderWorks anymore (except for one seat to keep an eye on things) because it can't compete with Artlantis. And we would have delayed purchasing VectorWorks v13 if an Artlantis plugin wasn't available (thankfully it was).

But worst of all for NNA is the fact that VectorWorks is slowly but surely getting a reputation for not working well with other renderers, which will surely put off some potential buyers of VectorWorks.

You would think the parent company could get Nemetschek to play nice.

The upgrades for VW are expensive, but I figure since you get the .5 free it is possibly worth it.

VectorWorks is my bread and butter, and the C4D module is a very tasty condiment.

I have not been happy that the eXchange plug in is so flakey and cost me a heap of time getting the 2 to work together (curtain lengths, etc).

At the end of the day I would pay 10% more for 5% more effort for Nemetschek to be proactive with Maxon and have the plugin be available at the same time and work (well) with the upgrade.

The software may be expensive, but my time is more valuable.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree with Kevin.

With leapfrogging upgrade cycles and OS versions (Leopard), it means that we struggle to ever have an exchange plugin working between VWks and C4d or any other industry-wide software. As professionals, who don't work for a software company, we need to use the best tools from across the industry to earn a living.

It isn't the product we buy, it's the experience. Please help to make it a good one.

(seeking VWks 2008, Cinema 4D 10.5 and Leopard harmony)

I was able to install the plugin in VW 2008. I did some quick test exports to C4D 10.5 which seems to work fine. I was able to crash VW though when I used an old VW file but I'm not yet sure what would happen if I export a new VW project. Have to do some more tests.

Anyone else care to share their problems using the plugin in VW 2008?

Ariel

Bad news. VW 2008 crashes when I try exporting a viewport (formerly layerlinked model). Oh well, back to VW 12.5 for me. :(

With viewports being the culprit, one workaround is to convert everything to 3d polygons (via the cut 3d section command) before running the plugin.

Ariel

Edited by Ariel
  • 2 weeks later...
I was able to install the plugin in VW 2008. I did some quick test exports to C4D 10.5 which seems to work fine. I was able to crash VW though when I used an old VW file but I'm not yet sure what would happen if I export a new VW project. Have to do some more tests.

Anyone else care to share their problems using the plugin in VW 2008?

Ariel

Hi Ariel - you mention that you were able to install the plugin, which is actually further than I have gotten - a few questions for you:

did you install the 12.5 export plugin or the 12.0 export plugin?

are you running tiger or leopard?

any further information would be a great help for many of us

Edited by timpower

Hi Ariel - you mention that you were able to install the plugin, which is actually further than I have gotten - a few questions for you:

did you install the 12.5 export plugin or the 12.0 export plugin?

are you running tiger or leopard?

any further information would be a great help for many of us

The exchange plugin CD is labelled CD version #3.1. I'm guessing it's the 12.5 plugin since we purchased all the software less than a month ago. I'm using the windows version. I checked inside the VW plugins folder and the two plugin files have modification dates of 9/14/2006. One of them is 472kb.

hth.

Ariel

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - Thanks for the link. The plug in is available at last and it does work.

I've run a few tests and it does work, but I've had a few issues with Vectorworks crashing while exporting so I'm not sure this is the final version or not. Restarting VW's helps, and second or third tries with the export work! good news.

Edited by timpower

Hi Tim,

I did submit one issue to Maxon, eg when a light source in VW

is made into a symbol, then in C4D the instance is not referenced

to the light source, so you have to manually do that in C4D.

Make sure you visit from time to time the Maxon download section,

as soon as the latest patch is made they will publish it to

download.

Regards Andreas

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Tim,

ComputerWorks Germany offers a download for the VW08 >> C4D

http://www.computerworks.de/Downloads.402.0.html?&L=0

Patches CINEMA 4D Exchange-Plugin:

download for mac "Export aus VectorWorks 2008"

download for win "Export aus VectorWorks 2008"

Cheers & have fun ;-)

Thanks for this info!!!

With this i am able to export to c4d 10.5 from vw 2008 with Mac Osx Leopard!!!

Great

Edited by Arturo Mendez
  • 2 weeks later...