Scaling Drawings

I think v8 is when they started using the name VectorWorks. The manual and disk are labelled "MiniCad VectorWorks."

Buster, are you saying you drew a 33' long line on a 1/4" = 1'-0" layer, and the Object Info palette says that it's 33' long, and that it's on the 1/4" layer, not some other layer, but it printed out 6.08325" long rather than 8.25" long? And this is only happening in the X direction, not the Y direction? So drawings are printing out with a distorted shape, taller and thinner than they should be? And normally your printer doesn't distort the shape of anything? And you printed directly from VectorWorks, not to a PDF file and then to the printer? That's really weird.

Is this the first time you've printed anything from VectorWorks? Have you printed before to the same printer without that problem? What's your computer's operating system?

Hi Jan15,

Yes that is correct. I have used this program for several years with no problem. I printed to a couple different printers with the same results, direct from my system and by a pdf file sent by email. I'm finding now that some of the pages scale correctly and not others. I am looking at each pages settings to see if i can determine anything, but nothing yet.

I'm using windows xp, but I don't remember what version. it was installed in April 07.

Thanks

The only thing I can think of that would cause the problem is if the X-axis lines are actually on a different layer, at a different scale. You might try drawing a dimension object showing the length of the 33' line, and then post a screen shot and also a scan of the print-out with a scale lying next to the line.

It seems very unlikely that it's a glitch in the software, but if all else fails you could try removing and reinstalling. They don't support version 8 on XP, but I personally used that set-up for about a year and never had any problem. I don't remember which Windows Service Pack I had, but I remember being afraid to install a later one because of rumors that it conflicted with some older applications.

Are you checking "Fit to Page" or some option of the likes when printing?

Can you correctly dimension the shape within VW?

Are you measuring using a scale bar?

Are you drawing really far away from the origin, or has the origin been moved?

Can you duplicate the issue in a new, blank document?

What version of VW 8 are you using?