Creating Ext. Elevations from my model

Andrew Mac

I am trying to know the best way to create exterior elevations from my model. I understand it would probably best best to create biewports to create them but alot of the times I need to make changes to the elevations that the model can't create- for example- custom muntin bars for windows and doors, Thus I know I need to use lines to create these. When creating the viewport, do I need to convert everything to lines in the viewports or this even possible- SO I can manipulate the elevation- if it is connected with the viewport- will I effect the model or will this be seprate at this point- Still unclear how to use the 3-d in conjunction with 2-d

I would recommend developing the model as much a possible in the Design Layer and keeping it as a 3D model to generate the viewport elevations from-you just loose to much connected data when you turn it into lines.

Some people do use the viewport of the model more as a template to convert to lines and annotate to their needs for elevations though.

You can create a viewport from a 3D model or a bunch of lines (or a model converted into lines) from the design layer.

For your specific needs of custom muntins just create the correct window size and type for the model, use no muntins, and then annotate the viewport with lines to create the muntin pattern. The lines will stay linked to the view created for the viewport-and you can still edit the model. This same process can be done for other graphical needs on the viewport/elevations.