Symbols from 11.5 > 2008

I do not want to step into the middle of a pissing match here, but I will say that I sympathize with Ian and appreciate his persistance in getting the explanations provided in this thread. They have helped to clear things up in my mind as well.

I have never quite understood the logic of having to convert the symbol files either. Now I do. Thanks for that.

I have been a Mac user for years and feel fairly competent, but for some reason I find the whole structure of the resource browser and navigating the associated libraries confusing. I haven't spent a lot of time trying to figure out why, so I keep muddling along hoping the light will shine on me some day.

It might be that the Resource Browser could be reorganized to be a little more user friendly during navigation, but again, since I haven't focused on it, I can't provide specific suggestions.

This may be another one of those areas where folks that have become accustomed to the structure find it to be second nature, while those that haven't had that "AHA" moment yet still struggle.

for some reason I find the whole structure of the resource browser and navigating the associated libraries confusing.

While you are not alone: they are just ordinary VW-files.

But wait a minute...

"Americans" use "Default Content". That does not come from "ordinary files" but special files in obscure, undocumented locations. The vast majority of VW users have to define their "Favorites" because - believe it or nuts - "Marvin Windows" are not a world-wide standard, so they, by and large, use "ordinary files" as sources in the "Resorce Browser".

Fascinating!

Resources are things that are created in a drawing thru procedures beyond "drawing".

A symbol is created by drawing something, and it becomes a resource when you choose the menu command "Create Symbol". It resides in the drawing it was created in, but if it is not put on a page it is only visible (available) in the resource browser.

The resource browser is a powerful tool that allows us to burrow into a file that is not open, and import the resources contained by that file into the one we're working on.

So the resource browser has a mechanism for browsing files. It automatically shows files by their name that have been nominated as favourites. For clarity these files usually live in the "object libraries' folder in the VWorks application folder.

The resource browser can also be pointed at other closed files by choosing "browse document" or some such, and that file can be nominated a favourite (if you find yourself repeatedly browsing that same one) so that it is always available in the resource browser's file tree. This saves navigating to it each time.

As has been stated, the object libraries folder contains files (drawings) that contain symbols. You can open these files just like any other VWorks drawing (file) if you like. I do it all the time to create new resources that I use repeatedly in new drawings.

Petri is alluding to the fact that if you start creating your own symbols, saving them to a "favourites" file and using them in new drawings this whole thing becomes abundantly clear.

Most of us who remember the days before the resource browser love the thing, and were over-joyed on the day of it's birth. I can't even remember what we had before it, but I do know there was a lot of opening of other files and copy/pasting into the working drawing. But just like today, if you wanted to open a file created in an older version, it would have to be updated to the newer one so that all the new features would be available.

For older resources to be drag/droppable into newer drawings, they would have to reside in something other than a simple drawing. The current model is an elegant solution, in my opinion, that allows us to easily create and manage these resources. That's not to say it cannot be improved.

Thanks for listening

Charles

Hi Dworks,

"Dragging to open a file can only be done on Mac...."

Good for Mac!!! But I never said anything about having any "Open" files or needing the Programs open.

Everything I was asking about and referencing in Pshop, was all done "behind the scenes".... in what ever OS File Manager we are using, be that Win Explorer or whatever the Mac version is. (Sorry, I dont know its name).

Pshop doesnt have to be open to move any Brush or Shape Sets around and I, personally, would like to see that same functionallity applied to VW.

My reasoning/question is, that if one Software Co.(Adobe) can do this why cant they all? Is that really too much to ask? Making things even easier for the End User?

Perhaps VW could develope this in conjunction with Adobe (though unlikely, I'd suspect)?

"you should use correct terms if you want others to understand you."

...... And perhaps you should re-read my posts! :)

Bye,

Now, what is so difficult in opening a file? It's very easy on the Macintosh. Perhaps it is extremely difficult on Windows? (Good Grief!)

Just get on with it - open the b*dy file. If you can't figure out how to open a file, hire a consultant to do it for you. (Good Grief!)

Where can you find a task bar in windows? I never heard of it, or I do not know what it's called.

I do not think many windows user know this. I tried it and it worked, I dragged a file to the VW icon on my desktop.

The sad thing is that most of the time my desktop is covered with a lot of windows, so this function is not really handy.

Edited by DWorks

The task bar includes the tabs at the very bottom of the screen displaying the open programs. The programs are laid out in tabs - just to the right of the Start menu and can stretch all the way over to the task bar holding the clock.