working planes

hi there everyone

ive just started using vectorworks and i am new to the programme. i was trained in autocad so i know what i want the programme to do.

ive started to draw a model of a hotel conference centre and i cannot get the working plane to work in the model .. at all !!

i can get it to work in another drawing and i can also cut and paste parts of the model into another drawing and the working plane works fine there and i can then put it back into the original model .... but i dont think this is the way it is supposed to be done

could anyone help me with this problem as i am to far into the model to start again

Honestly, the Working Plane Tool is normally not required for standard Top, Front, Side modeling. All you need to do is Extrude into the view... usually Top. Then use the rotate view and change views.

Working Planes are specifically set to sloped and slanted 3dObjects which are NOT extruded from 2d ( have no editable 2d part ) but created as 3dPolys.

Avoid using the Working Planes if you value your sanity ; )

Seconded.

In VW, you don't usually create a model of a building from arbitrary 3D-objects; instead, you use Walls, Floors, Columns and Beams etc. (Whoops - we don't have beams. Only rafters and joists - but maybe you can model a McMansion instead of a hotel conference centre?)