raytrace issue?

what cheer

Hi,

I have some steel beams that render problematically. They are extrudesAlongPaths that use the (un-grouped) profiles frm the I-Beam tool. They appear fine in WireFrame, but it has been difficult to get them to accept textures, and they either failed to appear in Renderworks, or showed opaque flanges with transparent webs - even their sunlit shadows show the transparency.

Is there a raytracing problem with detecting the surfaces that are very small distances apart? Is there some step in applying textures that I am missing?

Be glad of any advice on this.

Thanks in advance

Double check your profile object. It is probably not a closed polygon/polyline.

If it is a polygon, make sure the closed check box is checked.

If it is a polyline, use the arrows in the OIP to step around each vertex. Look for the button that says Hide Next Edge to change to Show Next Edge. If so, click the button to show that edge. Repeat around the entire object. Then make sure that the object is assigned a fill in the Attributes Palette.

Pat

thanks Pat - I took some advice I saw elsewhere in the forums - to set the class graphic attribute to solid as well as having the texture resource specified.

I am not sure I understand whether this was the critical thing, as I had also gone into edit group mode and double clicked the texture liberally over the selections - however the I-Beams now show fine.

The beams are a collection of nurbs surfaces, although they started life as plugins that I had un-grouped and extrudeAlongPath-ed. Is that a problematic way to go?

Thnks for your help,

G

It was the critical thing. For a texture to show on an object, it must have a solid fill (any color). No fill, no texture.

I am not sure exactly how or why you ended up with NURBS. I took a wide flange, ungrouped it and got a polyline. I then extruded it and went in to edit the profile. It was still a polyline.

You must have converted the extrude to NURBS. I don't think that gets you any real benefit unless you need to texture different sides of the beam with different colors/textures.

If you leave it as the extrude, you will have an easier time editing the profile and length if changes are necessary.

Pat