Nemetschek North America Announces Service Pack 1 for VectorWorks 2008

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I just wanted to let you know, several of the issues that have been posted in the forum lately in regards to VectorWorks 2008 have been addressed with the release of service pack 1 today.

To read the press release please go to http://www.nemetschek.net/news/pressreleases/2007/101007.php

To download and read about service pack 1 please go to http://www.nemetschek.net/downloads/fundamentals/2008/2008SP1.php

Best Regards,

Jeremy Powell

Nemetschek North America

Marketing Project Manager

Jeremy - NNA,

This is a comprehensive service pack upgrade that addresses many of the issues 2008 brought out as it was loaded to many differing systems. The NNA engineering staff should be complimented on a job well done to fix many little bugs as well as the memory issues.

So far so good.

I did notice one thing though when selecting an NNA window or door set in a wall it takes 15 to 25 seconds for the system to populate the OIP. Once the first window or door is recognized in the OIP the following selections are much quicker at only 4 to 5 seconds to populate the OIP. However all of the other memory issues have been taken care of.

Thanks for the rapid response.

Pete A.

Ray/Pete R,

Ray...you are right with the workflow. It took slightly more than an hour to see a slow down happening. I have yet to really test the upgrade. I'm on to my next design in the series but I would like to wait until the upgrade for windoor comes out. until then VW 13 still seams to take some time to register VW windows and doors....

Are you seeing the same delay?

Pete A

• 2 weeks later...

Christiaan, you're right to expect 13.0.1. Is there a reason why this is not so? I'd think the bug sheet is long enough to qualify for a ..digit.

A similar numbering non-convention happened with the 12.5 upgrade to 12.5 1 (or was it to 12.5.2?), which ate files and was subsequently replaced with another 12.5.1 upgrade that didn't eat files. As the upgrades were both given the same number, it was no easy to identify the safe upgrade.

Can someone from NNA explain the numbering convention? What is signified by a .x upgrade, a .x.x upgrade and a build number?

To quote Wiki

A variety of version numbering schemes have been created to keep track of different versions of a piece of software. The ubiquity of computers has also led to these schemes being used in contexts outside computing.

[edit] Numeric

Version number sequence

In the most common software versioning scheme, different major releases of the software each receive a unique numerical identifier. This is typically expressed as three numbers, separated by periods, such as version 2.4.13. One very commonly followed structure for these numbers is:

major.minor[.revision[.build]]

or

major.minor[.maintenance[.build]]

In most commercial software, the first released version of a software product has version 1.0. Numbers below 1 mean alpha or beta versions, i.e., versions for testing purposes or internal use, or versions that aren't stable enough for general or practical deployment.

In principle, in subsequent releases, the major number is increased when there are significant jumps in functionality, the minor number is incremented when only minor features or significant fixes have been added, and the revision number is incremented when minor bugs are fixed. A typical product might use the numbers 0.9 (for beta software), 0.9.1, 0.9.2, 0.9.3, 1.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.1, 1.1.1, 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.1, 2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.2, etc. Developers may at times jump (for example) from version 5.0 to 5.5 to indicate that significant features have been added, but not enough to warrant incrementing the major version number.

There is sometimes a fourth, unpublished number which denotes the software build (as used by Microsoft). Some companies also include the build date. Version numbers may also include letters and other characters, such as Lotus 1-2-3 Release 1a.