Export: default settings are unrealistic

Petri

Question

Why do users need to uncheck things like

- Export 2D Fills

- Export Images and Image Files

and choose

- Invisible Classes are: Not exported?

In the real world, few users wish to have these as NNA has defined The Correct Procedure and many users' exports fail because of these settings, causing confusion, frustration and anger, not to mention endless calls to tech support.

At least I don't suggest exporting "drawings" but "data".

Why can't these be a part of VW Settings?

4 answers to this question

The first two of those default settings are right for exporting 2D work. One would normally want any solid color fills in the drawing to be exported as Autocad hatches, and any images in the drawing to be exported as externally referenced image files (the only way Autocad can do that).

On my system the default is to export invisible classes as invisible DXF layers, unless the user selects exporting layers as DXF layers, which in itself is an unusual choice.

But certainly saved preferences is the best way to go.

Considering that in many cases practically all VW objects have a fill and that one usually only wants to send the "hard data", my feeling - and experience - is that "No fills" is what one normally wants.

"Invisible classes not exported" is a good way of controlling what one sends - again, one does not normally want to send everything.

But these are matters of taste, workflow, QA procedures etc.

Unfortunately it seems one can't even script the settings: the Application Preference Selectors (poorly documented in the Additional Resources of VectorScript Help) do not seem to include these choices.