My Workspace Went Crazy.

I've had this problem in the past with older versions of VW. The other day my computer (Mac) froze and I had to do a hard reset. VW 2008 was open at the time. After the restart, I opened VW and the palette locations of my Architect workspace were in different places from where I had them placed before. I would think the settings would be "locked" into the saved workspace. Obviously they are not.

VW is only able to update the GUI during the shut-down process. An app crash or OS crash or Force Quit >Kill will prevent VW from running the close-out I/O procedures used to write your Saved-state & Preferences to the various directories. So after re-launch or re-start you will be stuck with the last official Close-out preferences not the most recent working set.

You shouldn't really be getting crashes like that.

Do you regularly run Repair Permissions from Disk Utility?

Do you leave your Macs on at night?

You could consider getting Diskwarrior from Alsoft and running it weekly, it rebuilds the directory, which is where the majority of Mac problems originate.

As good policy, you should quit and relaunch VW after every *important* settings.

As it is now, all preferences, of any kind, are stored at the end of the VW session. I don't think your wish will/can be fulfilled.

Backup all things you find in your Users folder too.

This habit will save you loads of pain.

orso

OK, OK... Hang on there... I quit VW often enough. I restart my computer often enough. I run enough maintenance programs. The computer crashing happens rarely. What shouldn't happen, but does happen, is that VW does not even remember the last saved settings after a crash. It completely goofs the workspace pallet settings. This is the problem and this is what needs to be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

I will ask this again... Am I the only one having this problem? I've done a complete reinstall of VW 2008 and SP1 to no avail. About 10% of the time when I wake my computer, my Architect workspace has mysteriously changed on its own from the settings I use to something it likes better! Does anyone else have their dock set on the right side? I wonder if that is what's messing up my workspace, since having it set there does cause problems with VW window sizing. I've attached two screenshots showing the unwanted change. The first is how I have it set. The second is what VW likes better and changes to on it's own.

mysetworkspace.jpg

goofedworkspace.jpg

Bruce,

Do you leave applications running overnight including VW?

I would strongly reccomend against that practice as what is happening to you indicates improper shut-down of applications caused by the sleep power function. The sleep function does not properly close running applications as a default the applications view the sleep as a system power crash. I have disabled any power saving systems on my computer as they are problematic. I never leave any applications running if I know I will not return to work with them before even the screen saver comes on (and that is set to only 10 minutes). I don't leave my email, web browser or any other application running unless I am at the computer working. I got into this habit years ago when I had an office of employees who left applications running overnight and would come in the next day to corrupt files, applications and even Operating Systems. This lead to alot of wasted time in recovery. Their main excuse was that it took to long to wait in the morning to launch their programs...I think they were looking for ways to waste time and get paid for it. Then they got into the habit of just shutting down thier monitors and hide the fact that thier programs were still active. That ended real quick when they had to perform recoveries on their own time.

When you fix your workspace do you close VW and start it up again before starting any work?

When starting a new session of VW directly after setting up, saving and performing a CPU restart does the workspace come in OK the way you desire?

If, after you close down all applications overnight and leave no processes running except the core CPU systems, and the computer goes to sleep, when you wake it up then launch VW does the VW workspace open properly or skewed?

Do you run system maintenance programs when any applications are active?

Please don't take this the wrong way...but you need to narrow down what is causing the corruption problems and you have got to cut yourself and your operator habits out as being a part or even the singular cause.

Your a woodworker so I know you can appreciate knowing that you can use a metal cutting jig saw blade to cut finish veneer but its not the smartest way to get the job done. Each tool performs a specific function and sometimes you can get away with forcing it to do something else when your in a hurry or just being plain lazy...most of the time you should have taken the time to use the proper tool...huh...and this spoken from my own carelessness and stupidity.

Hope I have not offended you in any way...from the look of the fixture you have drawn in your post you are a professional with talent and skill which I am sure took many years of figuring out how not to do things wrong in order to get professional results.

Pete A

Do you leave applications running overnight including VW?

I constantly sleep my computer. 15 minutes, overnight, a few days.

I would strongly reccomend against that practice as what is happening to you indicates improper shut-down of applications caused by the sleep power function. The sleep function does not properly close running applications as a default the applications view the sleep as a system power crash. I have disabled any power saving systems on my computer as they are problematic. I never leave any applications running if I know I will not return to work with them before even the screen saver comes on (and that is set to only 10 minutes). I don't leave my email, web browser or any other application running unless I am at the computer working. I got into this habit years ago when I had an office of employees who left applications running overnight and would come in the next day to corrupt files, applications and even Operating Systems. This lead to alot of wasted time in recovery. Their main excuse was that it took to long to wait in the morning to launch their programs...I think they were looking for ways to waste time and get paid for it. Then they got into the habit of just shutting down thier monitors and hide the fact that thier programs were still active. That ended real quick when they had to perform recoveries on their own time.

I understand your cautious approach, but I have no problems like this with any other programs, nor did I ever have this problem with VW 12.5.2.

When you fix your workspace do you close VW and start it up again before starting any work?

I have, and it makes no difference.

When starting a new session of VW directly after setting up, saving and performing a CPU restart does the workspace come in OK the way you desire?

Sometime yes, sometimes no.

If, after you close down all applications overnight and leave no processes running except the core CPU systems, and the computer goes to sleep, when you wake it up then launch VW does the VW workspace open properly or skewed?

Sometime yes, sometimes no.

Do you run system maintenance programs when any applications are active?

Cocktail runs every morning.

Please don't take this the wrong way...but you need to narrow down what is causing the corruption problems and you have got to cut yourself and your operator habits out as being a part or even the singular cause.

I understand what you're saying, but I believe this is a problem with VW 2008 since, as I said before, it doesn't happen to any other programs I run, nor did it happen with VW 12.5.2.

Hope I have not offended you in any way...from the look of the fixture you have drawn in your post you are a professional with talent and skill which I am sure took many years of figuring out how not to do things wrong in order to get professional results.

I am absolutely not offended in any way. I appreciate your input and suggestions.

Bruce-

I am not yet using VW2008 (as the interiorCAD2008 plug-in is not quite ready), but have had similar behavior in my current set-up. The palettes re-size or strech-out as in your screenshot, though I would estimate less than 3% of the possible events.

I have lazily attributed the behavior to either rCAD bugginess, an OS problem (Apple Discussions ) which I first thought was a VW problem ( VW Discussion ) , and most adequately, as the ghost in the machine. :crazy:

If the behavior is not tolerable, try upgrading to Leopard, apparently has fixed the OS issue. I'm usually OK to suffer a few anomalies when most things work so well, as we rush headlong into technology only somewhat under control, often patched, pieced, lumped, forgotten, self-generating.....

If the behavior is not tolerable, try upgrading to Leopard, apparently has fixed the OS issue. I'm usually OK to suffer a few anomalies when most things work so well, as we rush headlong into technology only somewhat under control, often patched, pieced, lumped, forgotten, self-generating.....

I will eventually upgrade to Leopard, but not until I'm confident that most of the serious bugs (if there are any) are worked out.

Bruce,

I don't think this is a VW2008 problem as I've been experiencing the same behaviour as you using VW Architect 12.5.2. The palettes revert to their default(?) minimised size & the Basic tools palette stretches across the top.

I haven't been monitoring this consistently but I reckon that it usually (but not always) occurs after display sleep.

As far as I can recall all is fine after starting up VW.

Sorry to be so vague but I've reluctantly learnt to live with this one.

Charles

VW Architect 12.5.2

Mac OSX 10.4.10, 1.25 Ghz., iMac G4