vw crashing on vista

North

Question

Seeing as though this is not exactly an installation question, im not sure if im in the right forum..

I had some trouble installing vw on my laptop, but once i got it going, the program crashs every five minutes or so. There is no error message, or driver problem, the dongle is working fine... the program stops responding, forcing me to restart the program, and loose all my work. its a royal pain in the butt, and if anyone can help me out, i would be much obliged.

12 answers to this question

the only trouble i had installing was the dongle driver. but i fixed it.

128mb nvidea

i dont know what video drivers i have working, but its a funny way that vw crashs, its not because of doing anything to taxing on the computer. i am doing some 3d rendering, which i guess takes a little power, but with 2g of ram, and a 2g processor, i dont think thats the problem. whenever vw is put on standby, or i minimize it, or sometimes i can be in the middle of my work, and just clicking on a tool, or clicking a option on the tool bar can set it off. Vista compatability problem?

thanks

I am having the same problem. I have a brand new laptop running Vista with 2G of RAM. After I render with OpenGL or Fast RenderWorks I use the 3d flyover tool. Then next time I click on anything, whether a tool or on the menu, my whole computer locks up. It locks up so bad that I cannot CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up Task Manager to kill the program. I have to turn the power off on the computer.

Thanks

Windows Vist, VW 12.5.2

Toshiba Laptop A135

2G RAM

North - i am having the same issues, have been for some time now, its really frustrating and their seems to be no way around it.

Is your graphics per chance Nvidia go7400 ...? The problem seems to be that there actually does not exist, as yet, a proper driver for this card in vista. i have downloaded and installed, reinstalled, unistalled so many different ones, some dodgy, some off vista, some off nvidia, some off hp.com ...*sigh!

I have been in talks with the people that sold me the vectorworks and they have been in talks with their people - and they cant give me an answer.

I' beginning to think Vw was a waste of money and i should have stuck to autocad.

I' beginning to think Vw was a waste of money and i should have stuck to autocad.

Appreciating your utter frustration with this ... but assigning blame to VW for hardware & OS related issues may be premature.

At this moment in time, there are numerous compatibility problems with Vista .. not just video drivers.

I've been told by one IT consultant that their advice to clients is to forget about Vista for at least 12 months unless they have a masochistic streak and enjoy paying them money.

The rationale being that some problems can't be solved until the rest of the industry catchs up - sounds a bit like OS X when it first came out. The realities are there will always be a lag factor when a new OS comes out.