Mega Wish List

Jershaun

Question

1.Walls - If ?Type? is set to ?Round? then 3D view isn?t updated to Round.

2.Walls - When a window/door is placed in a cavity wall, the wall should be returned/closed off before the window. In other words, the window frame should not be the one that closes the cavity but the wall/brick should close the cavity. (See image 02)

3.Walls - Automatic healing of walls.

4.Walls - Ability to join 2 or more co-linear walls into 1 wall.

5.Walls ? Angled walls. (See image 05)

6.Slabs ? Slabs to automatically follow extend to the angled walls (above) depending on their height position. (See image 05)

7.Slabs - Ability to set slab textures in ALL sides including ?Edges?, ?Faces? and ?Under? slab.

8.Roof - Ability to control textures on ALL elements of roof including ?Edges?, ?Faces?, ?Fascia?, ?Soffit?, etc.

9.Roof - Ability to add ?Gutters? and ?Downpipes? at specified locations.

10.Roof - Ability to place fascia without being restricted in any way. At present one cannot specify height position. (See image 10)

11.Roof - Ability to add ridge caps and physically modelled roof tiles (not just tile textures).

12.Roof - Thatch (freeform) roofing. (I know this might be a difficult one.)

13.Hatches - The ability to draw a pattern in the drawing window and then convert it to a repetitive hatch pattern.

14.Hatches - Rotation (angles) of Hatches - 1 hatch style per multiple objects at different angles instead of creating multiple hatches at different angles.

15.Attributes - Control of linetype scale per object.

16.Attributes - 3D Polygons should be able to take on ?Dash Line? attributes and also they should render (Hidden Line) as such in all viewports.

17.Attributes - Components of all plug-ins should be able to take on customisable infill colours per embedded element.

18.Attributes - Option to control symbol content infill and outline colours by symbol, similar to ?ByBlock? in AutoCAD.

19.Attributes - Ability to control line-weights per line in elevation (hidden line rendered) and section viewports. (Not only per class because certain times one requires 1 or 2 lines in the background to be thinner than the foreground lines and not per class.

20.Sections ? Walls above each other should not show a meeting line. (See image 20)

21.Sections - Seeing slabs sits on 1 skin of brickwork in a 2 skin outer wall, the section viewport should be able to represent this. In other words, slabs should be in front of brickwork or better still, the user should be able to control the draw order of objects. (See image 20)

22.Sections ? Ability to create a ?Snapshot? of a section viewport. Similar to the ?Site Model - Snapshot?.

23.Viewport ? Stacking order should be customisable per viewport.

24.Viewport - When a viewport's scale is adjusted, then the crop shape either gets bigger or smaller. The user then has to reverse scale the crop shape manually. This should be an automatic feature. AutoCAD changes the viewport scale without affecting the viewport size.

25.Viewport - The crop shape should also be able to be adjusted from ?outside? instead of going into an ?Edit Crop? command.

26.Viewport - ?Section Line? instances (from the Section Viewport) should be able to relate to each viewport without affecting other viewports. In other words, one should be able to slide the ?Section Line? instance from one side to another in 1 viewport without changing the position of the instance in another viewport.

27.Viewport - The ?Crop? should crop annotations or one should at least have the option to do so. One example among others, sometimes the ?Section Line? instance comes out of the crop.

28.Tool - ?Ceiling Grid? plug-in should have detailed 3D including the infill panels and the aluminium panel support grid.

29.Tool - If the callout tool is used in a ?Design Layer? with a bubble and one scales up/down the text in a viewport, then the bubble becomes too small/big for the text. The bubble should scale up with the text in a viewport. Also an ?Infinite Point Mode? is required. In other words the leader should have more points if required. (See image 29)

30.Tool - Insertion point of the ?Number Stamp? tool should be customisable.

31.Tool - Ability to use symbols in ?Handrail Tools? and Handrail for stairs.

32.Tool - ?Stair Tool? should not take on infill properties of ?Data Class? but to the class it is assigned to. The text positioning should be customisable. Also, when re-editing, the ?Data Class? and ?Arrow Class? reverts to 'None' if the original class had a ?-? or ?/? symbol in it.

33.Tool - Customisable positioning of text for the ?Property Line? tool.

34.Text/Font - Heights are in-accurate. If 2mm is specified, then it should measure 2mm from the top of ?A? to the bottom of ?A?. At present it's measured to arbitrary points. This should be the same for all fonts. (See image 34)

35.Text/Font - Ability to Zoom/Pan while editing text. Similar to AutoCAD.

36.Text/Font ? Ability to distort text width. In AutoCAD it?s called ?Width Factor?.

37.Feature - Ability to scale symbols. In other words, 1 symbol of a tree placed multiple times and all at different sizes.

38.Feature - Preview of files in Open/Save dialogue boxes.

39.Feature ? Ability to put 2 different ?Line Markers? on polylines. (See image 34)

40.Mode Bar - On/Off Button in mode bar for ?Automatic Wall Joining?.

41.Rendering - If 2 objects butt up next to each other, then the user should be able to choose if their common/meeting line should be rendered in ?hidden line? mode, preferably not. (See image 41)

42.?WindowWall? - One should be able to angle certain mullions. (See image 42)

43.Dimensions - Overall dimensions including brick thicknesses and they should result in a chained dimension. (See image 43)

44.Dimensions ? Ability to position text of Chain dimensions more freely and easily.

45.PDF-Smaller PDF file sizes are required. VW creates 18MB files whereas PDF995 & CutePDF creates 700KB files.

46.Export ? Corel Draw export feature.

20 answers to this question

Re: 2.

Wall returns should be optional. UK practice at least, has mostly moved to cavity-closers rather than returning the masonry. I would like to see the option to return either the inner or outer leaf (used occasionally) and the option of a custom cavity-closer.

Re: 14 & 37

Yes absolutely. These are just the sort of 'work smarter' things that NNA claimed to be focusing on with the release of 2008. Hatch Rotation and Symbol Scaling are essential to eliminate the monkey work of having to make multiple versions of the same hatches and symbols.

While we're on the hatch topic there are another two long-suffered bugbears that weren't fixed in 2008: a ROTATE button in the hatch-creation dialog; and an end to the CHEAT that is the VW Hatch command (Modify: Hatch) which doesn't create a hatch at all but creates a group of dumb lines!!!

Outer leaf returns can already be done with plugin windows:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=85161

You need to use the plugin window rather than a plain symbol (as far as I know).

- So, insert a plugin door/window into a wall (i.e. a wall which has 3 components), with the middle component representing the cavity.

- Select the window and click on 'Settings' in the Object Info palette.

- Go to the Wall Detail tab and add "1" to Number of Components for both Interior and Exterior (or maybe just the Exterior?).

Having done this now select the window (in the wall) and drag the additional selection handles on each side of your window?doing so parallel to the jamb?to create the cavity closer return.

By the way, you can also do insulated cavity closers by including them as part of your [plain] symbol and then adding 2 loci (1 to each jamb, inside the line of the cavity closers). These loci tell the wall where to draw to, instead of simply drawing to the outer extremities of the symbol by default.

as well as the ability to create user-generated hatches from drawing elements.

Naww. There's no demand for this. At least no commercial demand, as the creator of Motivo (or whatever it was called) can attest. There was less than a handful of users who were willing to pay the whopping sum of 20 dollars (or something like that) for this functionality.

EDIT

Motivo it was. The price was $50, though.

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=35528&site_id=1#import

Edited by Petri

Thanks Christiaan

Never knew one could do that which shows that one can always learn new things. However, when one puts "Zoom line thickness" on, one can see connection lines which isn't as per my drawing. Anyway, one should be able to do this with symbols as well because as I've mentioned a couple of times before, I do not use the window tool.

Edited by Shaun

Can you explain the need for #22?

Why not create multiple viewports? (or just duplicate the one)

The snapshot for DTMs is so the user can display an existing and a proposed model side by side.

# 26- Are you aware of the "reverse section sides" preference in the Advanced Properties of the section viewport?

#27 - Can you explain in more detail, please? Or post an image supporting the need for this?

#35 - I'm not familiar with this in AutoCAD. Can you please explain in more detail?

#45 - This is discussed in a few other areas.

The Adobe PDF, which is the PDF export in VW, creates a true PDF with flexibility to add bookmarks, incorporate drawing structure, and so much more.

The other PDF engines you mention create image-based PDFs, which offer a smaller file size, but do not offer the depth of detail the Adobe option does, nor can you add bookmarks and preserve drawing structure.

Outer leaf returns can already be done with plugin windows:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=85161

You need to use the plugin window rather than a plain symbol (as far as I know).

- So, insert a plugin door/window into a wall (i.e. a wall which has 3 components), with the middle component representing the cavity.

- Select the window and click on 'Settings' in the Object Info palette.

- Go to the Wall Detail tab and add "1" to Number of Components for both Interior and Exterior (or maybe just the Exterior?).

Having done this now select the window (in the wall) and drag the additional selection handles on each side of your window?doing so parallel to the jamb?to create the cavity closer return.

By the way, you can also do insulated cavity closers by including them as part of your [plain] symbol and then adding 2 loci (1 to each jamb, inside the line of the cavity closers). These loci tell the wall where to draw to, instead of simply drawing to the outer extremities of the symbol by default.

Yes, we can do this, and it's incredibly tedious. An idea would be to create a library of closer styles which could then be applied not only to doors/windows but to the ends of free standing walls. For example, internal block return could be style A and Thermabate closer could be style B. Insert a window/door/whatever and simply state A or B for the closer style. It's something I got used to on ADT and it beats the hell out of the current method.

Hi Katie, thanks for your reply.

With regards to your questions, please see below and if you still don't understand, let me know and I'll try to explain further.

#1. Refer to pic 01.

#20. Refer to pic 20.

#22. If one wants to keep the design layer free from annotations, one should put it in the ?Edit-Annotations? part of the viewport (right click Viewport-Edit Annotations). Now, I'd like to have 2 (or more) exact viewports but at different scales (e.g. 1:50 & 1:25). If there are changes, the ?snapshot? will save me the work of editing all the annotations 2 (or more) times.

#23. If you see pic 20, the ?Viewport Layer Visibilities? dialogue box does not have an option to adjust the stacking order for that particular viewport. I need this because sometimes I want the ?Viewport Layers? stacked differently to ?Design Layers? e.g. in one viewport I want the 1st Floor Slab layer above the 2nd Floor Slab layer but in the other viewport I want the 2nd Floor Slab layer above the 1st Floor Slab layer and my design layer stacking order can remain unchanged.

#26. In plan I have a 30m long building. I have a ?Section Line? (on plan) from left to right of the entire building created from the ?Create Section Viewport? command.

Now, in my Sheet Layer, there are 2 viewports. 1 showing 5m of the left side of the 30m building and another showing 10m of the right side of the same building. I want to now show the ?Section Line? with both it's start and end ?Markers? in both viewports without the Section Line coming out of the crop of the viewport. When I edit the annotations of one viewport, I can adjust the ?Section Line? to my liking BUT it affects the other viewport and my design layer. I want each section line per viewport, to operate on it's own but still keep the link to the ?Section Viewport?.

#27. Refer to pic 27.

#35. In AutoCAD, while in ?text edit mode? (double click on text), one can still use the mouse to zoom and pan without coming out of ?text edit mode?. VW should be able to do this. At present if one double clicks on text and uses the scroll wheel, nothing happens. We should be able to zoom in and out while the cursor is still in the text edit field.

#44. Yes you're right, we can move the text, however, it's only along the dimension line and not up or down. Refer to pic 44. The ?230? dimensions are easy to move however, for the ?120?, one has to ?Right Click-Edit Dimension? and input a number for text offset. I don't mind typing a figure for text offset (it's accurate that way) but there must me a simpler way especially if you've got a whole lot of brickwork dimensions to offset.

#45. The bottom line is there is a 17MB difference. When one zooms in on the PDF995 or CutePDF files, it doesn't pixelate or one doesn't notice any difference. I understand you have the options of bookmarks and drawing structure but if it means a 17MB bigger file size then it's of no use to me. How can I email a file like this. I still use CutePDF or PDF995.

Thanks,

Hi Katie, one more thing to add to my original list.

#47. In the "Resource Palette" if one "Ctrl + Double Click" on an item, then the "Edit" box comes up for that particular item. So similarly, I wish there was a similar behaviour to the "Navigation Palette". At present for example if one has to Ctrl+Double Clicks on a class, it merely makes it active. If I wanted to make it active I would just single click on the "Tick" column.

Thanks,

#1 - How are you creating / adding the round ends to the wall?

#20 - Can you send me the file so I can take a look at the file structure?

#22 - I think I get it. It's almost like a viewport to viewport link. Updates to annotations in one viewport are updated in any duplicate viewport linked to it.

Interesting ... I like the idea.

#23 - So would layer stacking order overrides in Viewports work for you?

#26 - Got it

#27 - Got it

#35 - I like it!

#44 - That's what I assumed, but wanted to make sure.

#45 - You can use things like yousendit.com to send large files.

If you zoom in enough on the CutePDF or any other raster-based PDF, vs. the Adobe PDF you will see the difference. The pixelation becomes apparent.

Thank you for the clear, concise explanations and descriptions, as well as the excellent images supporting the requests.

Hi Katie. Thanks for taking the time to attend to my items.

#1. Refer to attached file "Model Gr Floor" Layer.

#2. Please see attached file.

#22. Yes.

#23. Yes. Please.

#45. I will email you the PDF file. There's no pixelation. It was created with 144dpi. The same drawing VW does a 18MB file. The arcs are a bit sketchy but that can be solved by raising the dpi to 600dpi and even then, it's about 1MB (far from 18MB). VW will also create sketchy arcs at 144dpi.

#47. Just in case you overlooked that in my previous post.

Thanks,