The "Do Not Edit" field

I have a quick question. What exactly does the Do Not Edit field in the object info window do? The reason I ask is because I am having issues with instrument labels and moving the fields around and I found that even when I get rid of the label legend, purge unused items and delete it from the label legends folder in the symbol folder, I still had constraint points showing up where the data was when there was a label.

To get rid of all those points, but still keep my data, I went in, selected all my lights and selected Show Data radio box and then deleted the number in the Do Not Edit field and BAM! all the label legend points disappeared.

Question is, did I just do something that will screw up my plot. All data is still there, it seems it just zeroed out all the label positioning.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

All of the Data Fields contained within the OIP are essential to the ability of VW to create and manipulate the PluginObjects based on their values. Most of the Fields are User editable. However, as you've discovered others are intentionally 'defaulted' to prevent screwing up the code when vectorscript executes its various routines.

Nevertheless, I think editing the Do_Not_Edit fields do not (at least should not) corrupt one's data or get one banished from the Garden of Eden just because one succumbs to temptation. Surely VW is not supposed to be a spiritual journey - at least I'm no Ishmael.