2D Polys to 3D Contours

J Lucas

I am trying to convert 2D polygons to 3D Contours with the 2D Polys to 3D Contours command. The problem I am having is that when I initiate the command and the set elevation dialong box appears, the command chooses all the polygons on the layer, thus making it impossible to assign contour values in sequence. The polygons representing contours were converted from Autocad polylines. I have the polygons in a clean seperate file with the active only layer option chosen. The manual says that when the elevation dialog box opens... "the first polygon in the drawing order is highlighed". Based on this clue, I have tried copying the polygons in order to another layer, to no avail. (It does work if I draw new polygons in sequence. But the documentation makes it seem that you can use this command on imported data.) Any suggestions?

The order the objects were drawn is inherited during the import process. There is not way to adjust the order they were drawn aside from tracing over them yourself.

The other option is to simply convert all the 2D polys to 3D polys using the Modify menu. From the Obj Info Palette, you can set the elevation value of each polygon manually. (Select the first poly, go to the OIP, enter elevation; select next poly, go to OIP, enter elevation; etc.)

Peter, that is what I tried before. I will try it again to see if I missed something. Jonathan, I will also try your idea. It would be nice, I suppose, if the command had the option to just choose the polygon/contours individualy in the proper sequence as the command converted them 3D and assigned the proper elevation.

• 9 years later...

Everyone should ask from their surveyor their .CSV file which has the eastings and northings and elevation for the stake points. All surveyors have it when they do a survey.

Once you have it you can create any 3d site model in less than 30 sec.

Go AEC/survey input/import survey file, select the file and then created terrain and choose you one of choice. and all done a full 3d model in 30 sec.

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • Like 1