3D parking lot

domer1322

can anyone tell me how to actually model a parking lot curb (and asphalt surface) accurately in 3D ? Specifically, I've tried (for a long time) to figure out how to extrude the gutter pan/curb shape around the perimeter, but it only works if the lot is on a planar surface. I want to show the actual elevations of the curb as it is sloped for drainage purposes. When trying the extrude along path, it only works if the path is in the same plane.... yes, I know I can slope the plane, but in reality the curb is not in the same plane. My ultimate goal is to layout the curb, then extract the nurbs edge and use them to make a nurbs surface for the asphalt. I can't get past the curb layout. Help..... please.

I tried this many times ... the extrusion fails due to invalid path or profile objects. I suspect it has something to do with whether the nurbs curve is 1 degree or 2/3/4 degree curve. In my parking lot, I have mostly 1 degree nurbs curves with rounded peninsulas. I notice that if I use a single nurbs curve that was snapped to 3D locus points (and the locus points have diff 'Z' values), then it sometimes works if I don't have any 1 degree curves involved (that is ... no corners)

I still need help....

I tried it again ... took a 2D polyline with corners and one radius end. Extruded along path ... worked fine. I took the same exact 2D polyline, converted it to nurbs curve, then moved one vertex in the Z direction (off plane). Now tried the extrude along path with same profile ... it failed.

Still need help with the original problem....

I am very interested to know if it is really possible in Vectorworks to correctly display a real world (3D) parking area. Actually what I mean is create a parking lot from an irregular shape (arc & corner vertex) that has variable slope to numerous catch basins and curbing to control traffic & water, which is most ground level parking lots. I never been asked to design a rectangular one with only 1 catch basin, to bad as it is doable in Vectorworks.

• 4 weeks later...

attached is an an update of a project i am working on. i am trying really hard to stick w/ 3d modeling. i am using the stake tool to control everything. see "layoutstakes"

the file "pavementbreakthrough" is my attempt to add pavement to the dtm. it is a 3d poly where i have set the vertices to the proper elevation and then raised the object 0.1' above the dtm, but i still get breakthrough. sometime ago someone suggested using the plantbed tool. would this work in such a twisted slope?

also we need a way to attach an associative dimension to the stake tools that show distance AND slope. maybe w/ a little arrow pointing down. the road access shown was figured out by SLOPE. then we would need to be able to type in the slope we want and the stake would adjust in height.

All play and no work makes Jack an unproductive boy.

3D-modeling is generally not the propers means for producing working drawings. As comes to some of the issues in this thread, why do I think that 3D is hardly worth the effort? The Contractor (bless his soul) is just going to build the thing. I'd concentrate on matters that matter and assume some professional skills at the other end, too.

At least in The Netherlands one can leave everything to the Powdered Toast Man. No meaningful communication is required. (Les Bays-Pas, nul points.)

Petri

As outlined in previous posts, I am trying to use 3D modeling (design) so I can view the road alignment, surface features (pavement, curbs, sidewalks, manholes, kiosks, etc) & underground services (storm, sewer, water, power, telephone, cable) to ensure that the separation between them meets the various codes. Yes contractors are interested in being able to view the 3-D model because in design build projects they are responsible for the as-built drawings & certifying their correctness.

Bruce, I couldn't agree more, but am not sure if millimeter-accuracy is needed and whether every detail needs to be modelled. (Your list does!)

The question in my mind is whether VW can, efficiently & in reality, do all these things, but it could be just me: I haven't managed to learn to master NURBS. Also, the DTM module still does not seem to do things I'd want in this respect, but this can be caused by lack of skills, too.

Here is a curb maker. I have not done this for a while, but I think these are all the steps: Draw a curve in top/plan with correct shape for each edge of the curb gutter system: top inside, bottom inside, top outside, bottom outside, gutter edges, etc. Some of these will be stacked on top of others so you can dupe. Others will be offsets. Then Send to Surface each one which makes it conform to the DTM undulations. Raise or lower the whole curve to desired height above or below the DTM. Now loft the pairs or the whole set. It ain't perfect, but does get a model to conform to the terrain.

Your parking surface can be a texture bed. This will follow the terrain undulations, drainage, etc without that breakthrough or the need to create and lift a 3d poly.

Come to think of it, perhaps you can use the texture bed to make the curbs, too. Extract & dupe edges and raise/lower in pairs for the various faces.

Curb cuts can be solved with some connnecting NURBS surfaces or a site modifyer from poly, or maybe adapt a landscape retaining wall to be really low with a very wide front batter.

-B

-B

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is an interesting topic. Here are my suggestions:

1. For the parking lot topo, use a fence for the boundary with all critical elevations inside handled with stakes set to modify. This inlcudes stakes set at base of curb and top of curb all around. (This is what digitalmechanics was doing, I'm pretty sure.)

2. For the look of asphalt, use a texture bed in the asphalt area. For the look of the concrete curb, use a texture bed with hole in the curb area.

progress on DTM

the project is a 3 acre site.

the total for the project sofar is 115 hours to make 9 sheets:

c0 cover

c0.1specs

c1 existing

c2 proposed

c2.1 & c2.2 enlarged plans

c4 details

c6 camera shots

e4 electrical

the stage of the project is: cost review w/ client

the client really liked the camera shot sheet. now they know what they are getting.

i still can not see how the bed tool can give me a twisty slope, hence i did not do paving in 3d.

the stake tool really works well.

if you really want to control the DTM use the stake tool. i used 800+. some are from the survey and the rest are filler or for proposed. it always works. if you get a "blowout" just add some more stake objects until blowout disappears.

a warning: the "snapshot" of a DTM disappears for no reason so you have to make them again. do so just before you print.

also, i used a special keynote system that zoomed things along. this was the topic of another post.

Edited by digitalmechanics
  • 10 months later...