system restore delete VW files

tamarindi

Question

PC, xp pro, VW12.

Whenever I restore the system all VW files created between the restoration date and the restore point - disappear. I guess it has something with "documents and files" or the registry....?

The VW is installed on C but the files are saved on different partition.

How to avoid this ?

Thanks

2 answers to this question

Tami,

I've used System Restore on several occasion and never had the problem you describe, possibly because my files are on a separate physical disc rather than a partition on the "C" drive. The restore process should not affect data files. I have read that documents saved to the desktop can be lost, but that is not your situation. The XP Help & Support files describe a way to exclude drives & partitions from the restore process:

"To exclude a non-system drive or partition

Open System Properties.

Ensure that the Turn off System Restore check box is cleared.

Under Drive settings, click the non-system drive or partition that you want to exclude, then click Settings.

Select the Turn off System Restore on this drive check box. This option is not available if you have selected a system drive or partition.

Notes

To open System Properties, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.

You can choose to exclude any non-system partition or drive so that System Restore does not monitor or restore it. Changes made on an excluded partition or drive are not restored during a System Restore."

I also use an external hard drive for backup of my files - "paranoia strikes deep".

George