Vectorworks 12.5.2 Crashes 10 times a day with NVIDIA software!

this is what I did, in an attempt to reduce crashes,

removed 2 gig ram and put in desk drawer (for the day VW can address 4 gig)

Updated graphics driver

deleted lots of fonts

reinstalled xp-64

updated xp-64

swaped RAM sticks for new ones (from the boses computer)

got VW to work in windows XP compatability mode (I use xp-64)

pointed a gun at it

Threatened it with physical harm

only crashes about 5 times a day now.

• Administrator

Hi Peter,

As I hinted earlier this month, VW 2008 SP1 no longer has a problem running in a 4GB environment. You can get the update on our web site.

I have asked our QA staff to contact you with a procedure for reporting these crashes so we can better understand their origin. Vista video drivers are a frequent culprit, but it sounds like yours are the newest available. That does not mean they are not to blame, but we need to get a little more information to take the next step toward resolving this for you.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Peter and others, I noticed that some of you are using NVIDIA video cards. There's an application called, "NVIDIA Desktop Manager" or similar, that is distributed with many if not all recent video cards. If you currently have the Desktop Manager running in the background while drawing in VectorWorks, please disable/close the application. The Desktop Manager has been known to cause random crashes in VectorWorks 12.

Let us know if you have the Desktop Manager running and if turning off the application helped.

Gunther

Quality Assurance

Nemetschek North Ameria

Dear Pharr,

I?m using VW12.5 because our upgrade path is blocked because the Cinema 4D exchange plugin between VW12.5 and C4Dv10 has problems updating symbols, and the VW2008 to C4Dv10 doesn't work at all.

Ill upgrade when that issue is sorted. Until then ill keep my extra 2 Gig in the draw until either the VW exchange plug in is fixed or you release a patch to get VW12.5 to work with 4 gig.

I?m using windows XP-64 not Vista.

In the past I have emailed you directly regarding my problem, and have sent you memory dumps, but you have not replied! Its a bit strange that that QA staff are going to contact me for more info. Hey come over for a BBQ lunch and a few beers! We can pull the thing apart and sing Christmas carols!

Sorry to be a bastard but, (I?m going to be anyway and am not really sorry at all) You should work with Maxon and get the exchange plugins working so we Cinema 4D users can upgrade and leave VW12.5 behind us and give us an upgrade path to a more stable, faster and feature enhanced crash free software so I can get on to earning some money to pay for your upgrades.

If you come back and say The plugin is not your problem, I?m going back to Archicad and cinema 4D, their exchange plugin works!, and ill expect a refund too.

Have a nice day ;-)

Peter Card

peter@designteam.com.au

• Administrator
Dear Pharr,

In the past I have emailed you directly regarding my problem, and have sent you memory dumps, but you have not replied! Its a bit strange that that QA staff are going to contact me for more info. Hey come over for a BBQ lunch and a few beers! We can pull the thing apart and sing Christmas carols!

Hi Peter,

What you mailed me before was unfortunately not the complete dump we need to investigate, but I see that QA is in contact with you. I hear that the NVIDIA Desktop Manager may be the root of your problem. I hope it is, but if not we will investigate any crash dump you send us. If your crashes have been eliminated completely by turning off the NVIDIA Desktop Manager, I'll ask that you turn it back on long enough to get one log per Gunther's instructions so we can see if there is anything we can do within VectorWorks to better identify or handle this case.

Thanks,

Paul