Is VW 2008 a major upgrade?

Petri

To existing users, definitely so. But how about prospective users? Those who have discounted VW on this or that particular basis perhaps, but what about AutoCAD-fundamentalists, hard-core MicroStationists or devout followers of the notorious ArchiCAD-cult?

In short, how does one "sell" VW to new users? What is compelling right now?

I'll chip in my $0.02 CDN (now worth an actual $0.02)

I use, still do, AutoCAD. I consider Vectorwork as viable MAc-Based CAD system. I do not use VW, because I need to work on other's AutoCAD files - not simply exchange info, but must edit "their" dwg file - in tact.

Each release moves VW closer (and this may be a bad thing for tried and true VW users) to being aa "AutoCAD Editor". Viewports (release 11??) was a big step. The whole WorkGroup referenceing improvements in 2008 (near as I can tell, as I have not yet sought a demo from Canadaina reseller) seems to bring closer the whole AutoCAd X ref thing.

The object for myself (a narrow view at best) would be able to round trip a dwg without any appearent lose (from the AutoCAD user's perspective) in Viewports, Page Layouts and References (both DWG Xref and Image Inserts)

For example, when I return and AutoCAd dwg to it's owner (so-to-speak) I do not want the Xref's to have been 'bound', but only return the parent dwg. The Owener, on opening, should have any recent Xref load from own system (unless, of course, I required to make changes in those as well, in whcih case, they too would have been returned - as separate files)

IS VW 2008 a major upgrade was the question. Was it complelling?

From what I observe, YES

Was/Is it enough for my particular situation/work flow? - Not yet. I a wait VW 2009 with anticipation

JimL

PS

Oops! Missed Rotate Plan View (??) Another biggy for the AutoCAD converter Hummm, maybe VW 2008 1/2 :)

One other suggestion for NNA

You have (had?) an VW for AutoCAD User publication - make it free to download. Short of a demo version, this might be the next best way for us low life AutoCAD users to understand HOW we can transition.

Edited by oldguy

Wait, so you can't work between acad and vw? When I import a dwg it maintains all the info. I don't need to retrace over acad lines or anything? are you talking about dimensions, or the layers? they don't translate?

VW is a fine CAD platform, no arguments there. Graphically, very mac and all fine...

ACAD and Revit are two completely diff. programs though.

The nice thing about revit is that it was designed from day 1 as a parametric modeling program. It wasn't a cad drafting program w/ years of shoe-horning to try and be something else.

It didn't work w/ autocad. They have architectural desktop, among others, that are all expensive add-ons to acad that bring a 3d architectural, or engineering, or..., aspect to it. It is slow and cumbersome and being phased out w/ revit as the replacement.

The same problem vw seems to be having. Maybe nna should go out and find a revit to swallow?

Wait, so you can't work between acad and vw? When I import a dwg it maintains all the info. I don't need to retrace over acad lines or anything? are you talking about dimensions, or the layers? they don't translate?

When I import a dwg it maintains all the info.

* Mostly, unless, for example, any Xref?s a Clipped

I don't need to retrace over acad lines or anything? are you talking about dimensions, or the layers? they don't translate?

All this seemed to work impressively well in my limited demo use

You can indeed work with Acad reasonably well, based on my brief experience with VW 12 Demo - can not fluidly edit a file back and forth. Example: (and this is a limitation for me, as per question posed at outset) Importing and AutoCAD drawing with Xref's (not bound), VW does a fine job a preserving the visually fidelity. It effectively binds the Xrefs.

Problem with 2-waying a drawings like this is, if I were to send you, for example, a drawing to edit for me ? a drawing that required one or more xref?s to provide context. I would expect to have returned to me my drawing as sent (but with edits) ? without My Xrefs having been bound in. I would have expected to load your edits and have AutoCAD insert the Xref?s that (the ?originals?) were still on my computer.

Does that make any sense??? (Does to me )

Second, VW (as of VW12) would not clip the Xref?s if they had been clipped in the originating DWG. This one can have a large impact visual impact on the resulting import as compare to the same drawing printed from AutoCAD.

The ultimate answer, If one needs to edit and faithfully roundtrip a DWG, you need AutoCAD. If you are the originator of your own work you can dictate your own CAD needs. VW fills the Bill!. Not ?perfect? imports, but allows ?you? to obtain useable CAD data to reduce your own work load. Capable enough that you can share your VW data with others.

Needless to say, if I were contracting out to you to edit ?your? VW drawing you would/should expect nothing less back than that which you sent for changes ? including classes and (VW)layers either intact or added too depending on nature or scope of work I were to do for you

Am I ranting on? Sorry.

As an existing Microstation user, I can say that VW Landmark 2008 (without actually having had the chance to try it yet) appears to be a huge step forward, and should finally allow us to actually start working in VW without continually bumping into things that prevent us closely simulating our existing Microstation drawing style/workflows.