Petri

All (NNA) plug-in objects should have a VectorScript "front end"

Question

I realise that not all PIOs can be programmed with VectorScript and of course I don't even care.

However, default values of parameters (including choices of pop-up lists and radio buttons) should be editable by users; same applies to OI labels (alternative names). Eg. the Plant tool is a disaster in its assumptions.

Why can't there be a VSO "front end" which would use something akin to the $INCLUDE instruction of VS to invoke the "vwtool" or whatever the clever bit might be called?

As PIOs get more complex, I anticipate that we'll see even more of these user-unfriendly thingies. (I seem to recall a statement by Robert Anderson some years ago, saying that all future plug-ins would be written with VectorScript; the huge advancements of VS since VW 9 are a testimony of some sort.)

2 answers to this question

Petri, it's my impression the biggest problem with script-based plug-ins vs. those built on program modules or .dlls compiled from C++ is that the latter execute a lot faster. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know this is true in other contexts.

I'd imagine so, too.

In the big boys' world it is not, I understand, not at all rare that a system consists of programs written in various languages, calling each other.