VW 2008 problems saving to LaCie Ethernet Disk Raid

Hi

We purchased 6 copies of Vectorworks 2008 yesterday from 3D Toolbox.

One of the six serial numbers won't load. With the other five everytime we try to save

a drawing the programme crashes. We have to set autosave to 1 minute but this has

to be set evrytime the programme is opened> We use macs 10.4.10 OS a mix of intel, G5 imac

and G4 imac Also Vectorworks Help does not load when asked.

Edited by Pharr
  • Administrator

You may have noticed in the read me file that VW2008 online help is not compatible with Safari 2 on the Mac. The company that provides our help system had stated for months that they had a fix for this problem scheduled in time for our shipping schedule, but they failed to meet their planned date. After they fully understood the extent of NNA's displeasure, our publications department received their fix and have been able to generate a help system which supports Safari. We plan to release this online in the near future, but we recommend you install Firefox until then as it works well with our help system.

With regard to your other problem, you obviously have something unique going on at your site and you should contact our tech support department directly for troubleshooting assistance.

Hi Robert

We have narrowed the problem down slightly. Customer has a LaCie Ethernet Disk Raid 2 terrabytes connected by ethernet via a hub as a file server. The system is Mac based.

It is only crashing when saving to the server. If they do a 'save as' or autosave to the server then this is not a problem. When the files are worked on locally and saved locally then this is also fine.

MS Office and Adobe files are all saving ok to the server.

Just wondering if anyone out there is having problems saving files on a network server on a Mac.

We have to set autosave to 1 minute.

None of my business, but isn't this a bit paranoid? You are increasing the system overheads considerably for what I think is rather pointless. VW works slower, the network has (unnecessary) load.

I can't even remember when VW or OS X last crashed.

Regards,

Marvin

Nicholas & 3D Toolbox,

Can you please send the details of the issue to tech@nemetschek.net for immediate attention?

Please include a note that I told you to contact them, along with the version of VW, server details, and how the files are being saved. If you are getting a specific error message, please include that as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Nicholas.

Could you tell us if you are connecting to the LaCie Ethernet Disk Raid 2 server with SMB or AFP? If connected using SMB, try connecting using AFP and see if the problem goes away.

Please let us know either way.

Thanks!

Gunther

Nemetschek North America

• 2 years later...

I realise this is a very old thread - but I recently had a very similar problem. Using VectorWorks 2008 is fine, and when I save locally, or to an Apple TimeCapsule everything works ok. However saving to a new LaCie 5Big NAS the resultant save file is marked as hidden. I am connecting with AFP.

Backups, and Save As work as expected, but when I simply save to overwrite an open file, it is immediately invisible in Finder. It shows in Terminal, and with "chflags nohidden" command it is possible to get it to show again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or better still found a way round it? Will 2009 or 2010 exhibit the same behaviour? Obviously I have raised a support ticket with LaCie as well - as I assume it is their implementation of AFP which is the cause.

At the moment I am working round this by using Finder to show all files, but it is not ideal.

Thanks, Ben