Plant Symbol tag set to none on Plant Symbol creation

cdavis

What version are you using.

You will have to set the tag in plant definition to 'none'. How you do this will vary with the version.. After that the plant will not have a tag when placed.

Alternatively,

The tag will not display is "On Plant Schedule' is unchecked but it won't appear on a schedule. I do this with existing plants.

Set the plant tag in the plant definition to auto class. Then just turn that class visibility off. This allows you to have it both ways.

This isn't a tool preference. It is imbedded in the plant definition itself which can be moved from one file to the other (like a symbol). The beauty of this is that one could use different tag classes for different plants or not. What is important to make the system work well is to class the plant tags when you define the plant.

I beg to differ... Whatever you change in the plant definition, seems to reset tag settings of an instance to whatever Mr. NNA has chosen, unless you have document-specific preferences.

The new plant tool may be among the worst PIOs in VW's history.

Then again, I may be wrong. So far I've only tried to use it as a normal (but non-US -user) would. (Except that I peeked - no, one cannot change the tool preferences.)

Cdavis;

Two comments,

First, in my installation, changing settings in the plant definition for tag class changes the tag class of all placed instances. Changing the display settings to Quantity-Common name changes the settings of all placed instances.

Changing the spacing, or the tag display mode (eg none) only affects those settings for future placements. If you want to change those for objects already placed you select them and do it through the Object Info Pallet.

For most work flows that I have seen this makes sense although I can conceive of instances where it would not be preferred.

If I double click on a plant definition that resides in another file, using the resource browser. I find myself in the current file with the place plant tool active and ready to place a plant. The settings for the plant I place match exactly the settings I (not NNA) defined that plant to have.

If you define a new plant and don't set a value it remains at the default NNA set. I assume that this is because for the thing to work properly it needs a value. If you want that value to be something else then you can define a 'template' plant just like you might define a template file. Reality is you have to start somewhere.

At this point I haven't found any document specific preference that affects the place plant tool. All the settings reside in the plant definition. And I definitely don't se a change in the plant definition changing settings.

These comments only pertain to the place plant tool in VW 2008. Any version before the release of 2008 may behave differently.

What I am saying is that if you do what I suggested it will solve your problem.

Petri;

FWIW I am a non-US user but other than metric units, don't see how that has any bearing on the matter. Normalicy is a difficult and slippery concept.

Ahh..

So what are Finnish and Scandinavian landscape architects used to? Is their some fundamental difference in the process of placing a plant on the drawing?

As for the comment about the graphics I can only assume you haven't explored all of the files. Professionalism is an even more difficult concept than normalicy?

Different workflow, graphics, tagging, quantity notation, drafting conventions. Drawings are not expected to look like - what would be the word - patronising? No, na?ve.

(I should also have mentioned German landscape architects...)

Maybe I haven't. The ugly cutesy stuff is so overwhelming.