turning plan into isometric

vorxaw

Hi, thanks for the reply,

I think your method requires it to be 3d,

All i have now are just very simple lines of a plan drawn in 2d projection, the exercise is to created a iso by "hand" so i wanted to distort the plan into an iso shape, then draw up the walls from that... if that makes sense

or, how do i put those lines into the iso box

thanks

Make a new layer

choose View>Create Layer Link

tick Project 2D objects.

You will then have the 2D parts lying on the ground which can be rotated.

I have to say, though that I think you'd be better off working from the Plan view; VW is not really designed to work the way you described. (which sounds more like SketchUp)

N

VW uses a hybrid drafting environment which draws both 2D and 3D components at the same time, eliminating the need to manually draw 3D and elevation views.

I would trace over the plan using proper Architect tools, define heights, and have VW create the 3D model (for iso views needs) from there. It will be far easier and take much less time than drawing everything using lines.

If this is for a class and you want to try to do it the "hand" way you can probably use this procedure.

1. Make sure you are in a Top/Plan or Top view.

2. Select All of you lines

3. Go to the Modify Menu and Convert to 3D Polys

4. Change your view to one of the Isometrics

5. Use the 2D tools to draw using the 3D/Iso as a base.

Everyone is correct that this should not be your normal workflow. If you used that wall tool and give you walls a height, you will get the iso for free.

Pat

Let's say,, I just want to draw a simple shelving unit. and for presentation, i want to show it in 3D or perspective. it is not a wall and it is not a solid.. I usually draw as I would build, I draw a piece by length width thickness and assemble the shelve as I would in the shop. it would be cool to be able to do this with VW, even if there is a better way, which I would also like to know, but for now Is it possible to do what I want? I only have Fundamentals,,, Do I have to get a upgrade or different plug in or can i just draw.

thanks

Danny

Is this a wood construction shelving unit?

If so, draw rectangles (or use the extruded polygon tool)in a plan view representing the shelves. Extrude them the thickness of the shelf.

Use the move command to move the shelves to the proper elevation (either in a plan or front view)Use the align/dist. command if needed.

Draw the back of the unit in the same fashion as the shelves.

perfect.. thank you,, just like I would have expected, but did'nt have the forsight. -I was just looking at drawing up something like it that way. Picked '3D polygone tool' then after that I 'tabbed' thru the values and entered the dimensions I wanted. Getting the right isometretric "view" helped. but then do I get to hide lines afterwards? or is there rendeing or something?

• 2 weeks later...

on another but similar note. I have a piece of wood 8" x 4' x 1/4" thick that I want to cut a curved detail shape into, like several korbles . ? i have drawn it in 3d, but how do i modify the edge? how do i draw the detailed shape to cut out, and have the results in 3d. Do I draw the finnished detail in a freehand polygone and then extrude it ? it does not seem to get into the same x, y, z, plane as the rest of the shelves I am trying to attach it to.

ps, i'm in Vancouver today and it is their ThanksGiving weekend, so Happy Thanksgiving to you.

pps, back in the USA now

Edited by drawwhat?
  • 14 years later...

Hello. I am trying to do a isometric drawing of my shop design which is a big building. I have extruded the lines and wall thicknesses up but when I want to tidy the visual up and cut out any lines of the behind walls it won't let me crop it. Does anyone know how I could do this please? 
thanks!