VW to DWG file size

Petri

Question

This issue once again raises its seven ugly heads...

A user complains that when he imports a 720 kB DWG file, then exports his work as DWG, the file grows enormously. In the lab I've now tested some options, without making any changes in VW. The resulting DWG is indeed huge: the smallest is 3.1 MB. It zips down to 516 kB, so I think I can persuade the people in question to zip, but I'd like to know the technical explanation.

But no, I don't think I can convince him to export only his stuff and let the others to XREF it, albeit that procedure is a part of the Petrifying Rules of Efficient CAD Interchange Systematisation a.k.a. PRECISION. (If I'd be one of the others, I'd prefer this, but...)

---

Why do we say kB, but MB? Is kilo a minor, mega a major? Why in this context the exponent increment that determines the prefix 3 while it generally is 6?

Why do we say "you have unzipped" in one context and "your zip is undone" in another?

So many questions, so few answers. One fool asks more questions than ten wise persons can answer? On the other hand, the world is full of people with all the answers (I call them technocrats) - thirteen to a dozen in fact - but so very few who have the questions.

4 answers to this question

I think the short answer to the question is, VectorWorks stores/write more information than some other CAD programs, making it easier in the long run to manipulate and change objects.

I'll see if I can get a more official response.