Rendering lights through layer link - 12.5.2 Landmark and Renderworks

Tamsin Slatter

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi

I hope this isn't a stupid question. I have created lots of light objects. They render beautifully on their own layer. However, I have other 3d objects on other layers which I would like to include in my render. I have created a layer link. All included layers render. But my lights have vanished.

Am I missing something obvious?

Any help gratefully received.

Tamsin

In your VW prefs, there's an option to display light objects never, only in wireframe, and always. If you have this set to "never" or "only in wireframe" you will not see the light objects in a rendered mode.

Hi Katie

Thanks for answering this. However, if I use a final rendering on the layer which contains the lights, they glow beautifully. It's not the light objects that I want to see - but the light effect. Once this layer is combined in a layer link, the lights go dark!

However, I have now discovered model view. This seems to do the trick, although my xfrog objects don't light very well - you can see the background of the image props. But it will do fine for now.

For future reference, which is best in this scenario - Layer Link or Model View???

Hi Katie

Thanks for answering this. However, if I use a final rendering on the layer which contains the lights, they glow beautifully. It's not the light objects that I want to see - but the light effect. Once this layer is combined in a layer link, the lights go dark!

However, I have now discovered model view. This seems to do the trick, although my xfrog objects don't light very well - you can see the background of the image props. But it will do fine for now.

For future reference, which is best in this scenario - Layer Link or Model View???