a really state of the art notes tool wish

digitalcarbon

Question

when we draw an object we should be able to attach a note to it in the same way we attach a record. then later, when we are in viewport annotation mode, we can just hover our curser over the object (in plan or in section) and the note for that object will pop up at the end of our curser for placement, because we have attached the note to the object when it was created.

this attached note to the object does not show up on the object when it is attach. although it could be part of the heads-up-display.

when in the design process one does not know exactly how the construction drawings are going to be set up. you want to place a note but do not know where to put it yet, so the above method would help greatly.

example:

i use the floor tool to create a 4" thick slab.

the note that is going w/ that slab is:

CONCRETE SLAB 4"

W/ WWF REINFORCEMENT

the keynote marker for this is:

C50

when i create the object i attach the note: CONCRETE SLAB 4" etc.

then later (like weeks later) in annotate mode i hover my curser over the slab object and my

keynote marker "C50" pops up, i then click to place it w/o a leader line or click/drag to get a leader line

(the key note C50 is an office standard. everyone in the office uses C50 to mean the same thing no matter what project they are working on. so the notes tool needs to support this)

also, when i am done placing my keynotes for that sheet then the notes tool will create a notes column on my sheet. (this of course is all pre-formatted by me when setting up the office standards.) and if i delete or add any notes on that sheet then the notes column will update by deleting or adding notes.

Edited by digitalmechanics

2 answers to this question

i do not want to type my notes in every time. the notes for the office are a master set that is kept on the network. after creating an object such as a concrete slab (which is a custom object for each project, not like a chair which never changes and could have a record already attached) i would want to attach the office standard note to it to be later used for annotations.

also, when a note is placed in the notes column, as a result of placing a keynote marker "C50", then a pre-formated office standard specification could appear on another sheet for specifications.

example:

i place my keynote marker "C50" (as per my first post)

then the note that goes w/ that marker pops up in a notes column (4" wide. whatever) that i have previously set up to hold such notes.

THEN ON ANOTHER SHEET

the specification:

03 22 00.C50 ALL CONCRETE SLAB REINFORCEMENT SHALL ETC. ETC.

pops up automatically because this is one of the specs that go with that note.

the markers, notes & specifications are all managed in this state-of-the-art note tool which is a VW file kept on the network for all to use.