Multiple views

JohnS

Question

I was just at a architectural conference and Revit was on display.

The key feature they were showing off was their dynamic / multiple views of the model. For instance you could see the plan and the elevation at the same time. If you modified a window in plan you immediately saw what it looked like in a elevation view. It was very cool.

I WISH Vectorworks had this function. Is there some fundamental tech./ design reason that Vectorworks can't do this?

Edited by JohnS

18 answers to this question

Katie,

No offense, but its one thing to merely place an item on the wish list, its another to actually do something about a wish. Is this a major technological hurdle?

John

John,

Well said. Could the hybrid 2D/3D nature of VW make it a problem to add this feature? The good news, I think this is the first response of any kind to this request. The bad news, the Wish List must be quite long by now.

George

After spending a bit of time using Archicad 11 (which does have quasi multiple view windows) I'm not quite so sure now about how useful multiple window views would be in practice. In fact I think I have to recant and say that in most situations the VW single window method works better.

Vectorworks has a real advantage in being able to switch from a Plan View to a 3D view in the same window. Turn on Stack Layers and Layer Options to Grey Snap Others and you can immediately see in context what you are working on. As a process it is far quicker and more intuitive than Archicad's method (and dare I say it more SketchUP like).

What does need adding though is the ability to stretch 3D objects like doors and windows in a 3D view, and add the ability to have 3D live sections (as SketchUp has). ie. The 3D editing side of things needs to be beefed up so that objects can be accurately manipulated interactively on screen using the mouse in conjunction with the new Heads Up Display.

I have jumped into learning Cinema 4D. I have been following along with tutorials using a demo version as I decide whether it is the application for me. I have been a Vectorworks user for 8+ years and am surprised that NNA has not implemented the multiple views found in C4D into VW. I have become quickly accustomed to the efficiency of bouncing between views and seeing things live update on the 4 screens. I would love if NNA could get this feature into Vectorworks, as it would be beneficial to see how something you change in plan effects your elevation or section or isometric etc, live.

I see that this thread has been asleep for quite a while, and I would like to wake it up and get the discussion moving again.

From what I understand, this feature is in competing software, so lets get it into the application we use most.

On a side note to the above request, It would also be slick if one could choose how many views to have open at any time, sometimes you only need 2 or 3, instead of 4 options.

Rob

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I concur with RGCN and would LOVE the ability to have multi-views. It's actually a bit surprising that it hasn't become available in VW already given the connection to Cinema 4D. It's definitely a feature that will keep Vectorworks competitive in the face of alternative applications.

Thank you for resubmitting this one Jim. And thank you RGCN for waking up this important topic.

-Neil

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have details! Or at least, reasons! (They're perhaps 11 years later than they should be but... I didn't work here at the time ;) )

This is a feature we very much want to implement. It will NOT be in 2016, just to make that clear, I'm just explaining the reasons behind the delay.

The reason it was not done earlier is because of a massive number of dependencies inherent in our application that had to be updated or rebuilt from scratch in order to get to the point where we could add something like multiple views that would be both reliable and fast.

Over time, many things like the creation of the Vectorworks Graphics Module (the component that now handles selection highlighting, OpenGL, 3D wireframe and will eventually handle all of Top/Plan as well) moving to 64bit and replacing older plugin items created with Vectorscript with newer versions created with the SDK are making this feature more and more possible and more and more likely to appear.

Like with the 64bit conversion, certain roadblocks had to be carefully removed without simply bringing everything crashing down. One or a few at a time, pieces were upgraded and put into place to make things like this possible.

It will happen eventually, it is one of the highest if not THE highest specifically requested feature, its only a matter of time.