Importing DWG: Dimension Scales

Will P

Question

Hi All,

I'm a recent VW convert and I've been struggling with Importing a DWG file. After much frustration and confusion I've managed to get the file to import in some degree of legibility.

Only problem is now when I add dimensions to the drawing with VW the dimension-style (I know that's ACad terminology) is strange. It's much larger than anything else. It seems to be scaled strangely but I can't find anything in the VW options to adjust the scale of the dimensions. I'm lost. Help?

6 answers to this question

There's a complete Dimension Standard editor in Document Preferences (File > Preferences > Document Preferences).

That's also where you set the active Dimension Standard (the one that's used when creating new dimensions). Dimension Standard of an existing object can be changed with the Object Info palette.

A Dimension Standard only specifies geometry, not text as in Acad, other than where the text goes. The text of a dimension is controlled the same way as any other text.

Dimensions are automatically put in the Dimension class as you create them, which might make it easy to select all of them and change their standard and text style all at once. Or use the Custom Selection command.

I can't seem to access the text edit function. It just tells me that the dimension has no editable fields...?

It seems strange that the dimensions are a little more automatically suited to the drawing size. It makes me feel like there's something funky with the scale that the file was imported at. The whole scaling function between Cad and Vector Works is jsut confusing me in general. Maybe my problem goes back further to the import?

Any suggestions?

Sorry, I meant the font, size, and style of dimension text is controlled the same way as any other text. But changing what a dimension text says is done in the Object Info palette. You can unclick the 'Show Dim Value' box, and/or add a leader or trailer to it.

If you have a recent version, you could handle scale the same way Autocad does, by zooming in a viewport. VW also has another, older system, in which Layer scale handles all the scaling and dimension and text issues automatically, and all you have to do is decide whether you want to change the point size of text when you re-size objects or when you change a layer's scale. It may be too easy after Autocad. If your version of VW is new enough to have Sheet layers and Viewports, maybe you shouldn't use layer scale, and should opt to import the DWG at all full size and do everything the same as in Autocad.

I'm still completely confused.

Would anyone be willing to take a look at the imported file?

I imported the CAD file with the default settings (which seem to be correct for this situation) but it cames out all funky.

If anyone would be so kind, send me an e-mail at asstprodmgr@mtc.mb.ca and I can e-mail you the file.

Thanks so much!