Creating Random paving through the Hardscape.

nabw

Does anyone know how to create Random paving. If you select the flagstone setting, it comes out wrong, as traditionally when laying a random patio you should not have more than 4 straight edges in a row.

There are stone suppliers who offer there own patio generator on there but think I might be missing something in Vectorworks.

Any help would greatly be appreciated...Thanks

I agree, the one in the system is useless. I have spent a few days creating a random pattern for patios and I'm hoping we are going to save time with it. Here's how I did it. I actually created the cut sizes as they are purchased (in 2-D, not 3-D). On each, I added the "size" in a letter form that the stone vendor uses ie. 1'x1' = A. This is what the stone builders go by, letting them see when a piece is to be horizontal or vertical. Then I made it into a Symbol, with the actual size as the name ie. 1'x1'. I created a folder in the Res Brows called "Cut B/S" under Symbols/Plug-in Objects. I also made a legend to plop down onto the dwg, created it as a Symbol, and added it to this folder. This way I won't have to re-create the legend each time. All this work in creating the actual pieces is so I can then create a Hardscape worksheet, similar to a Plant List, and have it come up with a qty count, name, and size on the dwgs, which I can then also print out separately. After I created all of these pieces, I then painstakingly laid out these pieces in a random pattern, about 20'x30' in size so that all I need to do is copy it onto a new patio area we've designed, and then simply trim off the pieces I don't want. Having it this large allows me to pretty much cover the size patios we may do. I can also enlarge it. I will never have to lay out a pattern again, saving tons of time, as you know. I am literally working on this today, as a matter of fact. Hope this helps!

Yes, I just tried this. It's no good for us because it doesn't seem to allow me to use text that I've embedded in my symbol. It also took a very long time to open. I'm finding that me individual pavers and the overall pattern I've creating is really slick! I love it! Thanks for "thinking outside the box"!