Mac to HP1220C print resolution problem

I have been going round and round trying to get my new HP1220C printer to print my Vectorworks 8.5.1 files in any resolution higher than 72dpi. I select a higher dpi in my Mac's Page Setup window and close the window to save the setting. I then print and, regardless of my selection, it prints at 72dpi. the printer driver does not seem to be saving the setting. I have not had any luck yet with HP in trying to solve this and wondered if anyone had any tips for me to try.

Thanks,

Sue Steeneken

I don't have an HP 1220c but am thinking of purchasing one fro use with our new PC. The HP printer software we use now in addition to choosing the dpi, also has a check box for high resolution that must be selected to get good quality printouts. So in the page setup box you select 300 dpi and make sure that hi-res box is checked. Perhaps there is something similar in your page setup?

Originally posted by markja:

...The HP printer software we use now in addition to choosing the dpi, also has a check box for high resolution that must be selected to get good quality printouts. ...

The 1220 printer driver also has that check box in the Page Setup and I do select it. It has 4 dpi choices, 72, 300, 576, 600, after the check box. I have the check box selected and have tried picking each of the dpi choices above 72. I save the selection but the software always reverts to 72 dpi. It doesn't seem to actually be saving the choice I make.

Sue Steeneken

• 2 weeks later...

For all those who may have a similar problem, I have stumbled upon a partial cause for the printing resolution problem while on the phone with the HP tech line and also a fix.

What seems to be happening is that Vectorworks files created with an earlier version of the program, from an earlier template or else with a different printer driver selected (I don't know which yet) don't allow the HP driver to save the high resolution setting into the file.

Creating a new blank document with the HP 1220C printer selected in the Chooser (using the HP Deskjet 3.02 driver) allows you to save a 600 dpi resolution in the Page Setup. This file will print out perfectly at that dpi. You can then paste in the information from the earlier file to solve the problem, it's just a major pain.

The good part is that it's not too hard to set up new templates so that the future drawings will print out properly.

The tech people asked me to send the bad files to them on disk so that they can test them to see where the problem lies. I'll do that as they may be able to put a fix into future versions of the driver for it.

Sue