Page printing order

Hi-

VW seems to have a screwball order (to me!) for printing pages. Instead of going left-to-right, then going down to the next row and repeating l-r, it does an updown zig-zag order. In a 2x2 layout, Top left is 1, bottom left is 2, top right is 3, bottom right is 4. This makes it much harder to keep track of which pages you want to print, and which ones should be left out or are blank. I haven't found a way to customize this, but I would like a way to re-order this pattern to bring it in line with what other programs typically do. Thanks,

-Adam

VW 8.5.1, Mac OS 8.6

Adam:

VectorWorks prints the pages depending on the orientation that you have selected. It always prints on the length side of the page. If you are in "portrait" it will print from top left to bottom left, then return to the top. If you are in Landscape it will print from top left to top right, then return to the left side again.

Unfortunately there is no way to customize this at this time, however you may wish to add this to the wish list above.

I hope this helps.

------------------

Brian O

Diehl Graphsoft, Inc.

Technical Support

• 3 years later...

Im having the same problem here but ive found the customizing menu under print -> layout. I've set the layout to print from left to right, not up and down, and yet it stil prints top left, to bottom left, and so on.... What should i do?

OS 10.2.6 VW 10.1.0 Printer HP Laserjet 4000TN

There is no way to control it.

Portrait prints top to bottom, left to right

Landscape prints left to right, top to bottom.

Portrat

1 4 7

2 5 8

3 6 9

Landscape

1 2 3

4 5 6

7 8 9

Most applications print this way. If you follow the length of the paper, it makes sense.

so in order to print, am i going to have to turn my drawings 90 degrees every time in order to print landscape?? Because right now when i choose landscape, my drawings get cut in half because they are drawn using portrait...

and if this is the case, why is there a setting under print-layout that controls which way the pages print but seems to be useless??

[ 06-11-2003, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Stefan ]

Most drivers for printers have bells and whistles that application software has to support.

The resources we use for printing do not support that feature, as most applications don't.

That print dialog box is displayed based on the driver. Not everything in that dialog box is supported by every application or OS resource out there.

Copies isn't supported by VW either. YOu can type in 1 million for copies ... it will still only print 1 copy.

All you are doing is changing the order at which each page comes out of the printer. Instead of rotating the drawing, just move the pages around whne they come out of the printer. That's a million times easier.

If you have a hard time with that, you may want to use a numbering system. Put a really small text block in the corner of each "section" with a number. WHen the pages come out, you'll know which page goes where in the order.

[ 06-11-2003, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

I see your point but i have a hard time printing all those blank pages in order to just get 4 pages out. You see, i have a 4 across x 2 down layout and ive drawn all my drawings across the top 4 pages.

So what your saying is its impossible for me to print my 4 pages, set up as i am right now?

And in order for me to get around this, i have to draw beginning at the top left, and work my way down, and then up again beside the top left one and so on??

Or print two blank pages ... and just put them back in your printer ..

or print one page at a time, moving the print boundary border around.

I can add your requrest to the wish list, I just can't 'fix' it for you with my magic wand today.

I can understand the frustration you are experiencing, I just don't have the power to fix it.