Interface - snapping, selecting, modifying

patrickhubble

Question

I know interface changes are touchy subjects, as people get used to doing using Vectorworks in a different way, but these modifications I think will be a great productivity improvement (further from a thread in General Discussions):

- Object snapping

Currently when moving an object from one location to a node on top of another object, sometimes the object is 'offset' without your knowledge, and you have to undo and redo it again (I think it actually snaps to a distance away from the point you actually snapped to). It is also very difficult to detect which point you are snapping to. An identifiable symbol appearing on top of an object node you are snapping to (we can keep the smart cursor cues, such as 'point', but just circle the actual point you are snapping to) just to be absolutely sure, is very necessary.

- Selecting

Geometry under other geometry is impossible to select - a modifier key should enable alternative object selections in the vicinity of the select point.

Also a deselect menu item would be helpful.

- Move and Selecting

Priority should be given to selected objects when moving them, otherwise adjacent objects will always be selected instead if they are higher in the object stack. It is more likely that the user will be performing an operation on the selected object than move an adjacent / object in the same position. If not, it is easy enough to deselect and reselect the adjacent object.

- Move

Is it possible to be able allocate a modifier key (say, command click) which allows a resize of the selected object (currently only a normal key is allowed).

- Tabbing

Tabbing when an object is selected should immediately select the first text field in the Object Info palette, not the location text field at the top of the main window. This will *really* speed things up.

- Object Info Palette

The palette should allow you to modify objects collectively - ie. when you have many objects selected, it should display the fields which are common to all the objects, and allow you to change them (if the values for the fields are different, leave the text box blank, if the same, show the value).

- Modify

The 2D resize modifier should act on rectangles and portions of groups. Rectangles should be automatically coverted to polygons if they are reshaped. (An error occurs if you reshape a rectangle).

- Modal interface

The modal bar (alternate ways of implimenting a tool) is great, but when you close Vectorworks and open it again, they default back to the orignal settings. When vectorworks is closed, it should save these settings. This is particularly pertinent for the Mirror, Callout, and Resize tools.

I am sure there are many more interface enhancements possible, but this is a good start. Any thoughts?

11 answers to this question

With object snapping, it sounds like you may have Snap to Grid on and the object is actually snapping to the grid rather than another object.

In addition, if you are working with a tight project, reducing the snap radius (VW prefs - 1st tab) slightly lower decreases the number of pixels in close proximity to an object you'd like to snap to.

Can you explain the "move" section a little more?

Tabbing - The OIP works sort of like a separate interface. Currently there is not shortcut to jump to the OIP. The tab key is reserved for data input for speed drafting using the Data display bar and/or Heads Up Display (new to 2008)

OIP - This is included in VW 2008 as Custom Modification

Modify - The resize cursor does work on rectangles and groups. If it's not working, we need to investigate the instance.

Mode Bar - The last used mode is stored in VW 2008 across files and sessions.

Hi Katie,

Object snapping - aah that was probably the problem.

What I was thinking of though was a marker to identify which point is being snapped to. Reducing the radius will help identify it easier, but I was hoping that the radius can remain large to make drafting easier.

Move - I was thinking of using a modifier key, rather than a toggle, for the resize so that you don't need to remember if it resizing is activated.

Tabbing - great to hear that Vect 2008 has a new use for the tab key.

OIP - Great thanks

Modify - Sorry Katie - actually referring to 2D reshape tool (which I use a lot). At the moment a typical object can be adjusted by double clicking it, but this does not apply to rectangles or does it affect groups if they are not entirely selected by the reshape tool.

Mode Bar - Sounds great.

At the moment a typical object can be adjusted by double clicking it, but this does not apply to rectangles

You raise an interesting user interface issue here. Eg. lines and rectangles do not have "behaviours" that would need to be invoked by double-clicking. All you can do to/with them requires only selecting them (ie. a single click).

The status quo of a dialog saying "The selected object has no edit behavior" is indeed stupid and patronising.

...It is also very difficult to detect which point you are snapping to. An identifiable symbol appearing on top of an object node you are snapping to (we can keep the smart cursor cues, such as 'point', but just circle the actual point you are snapping to) just to be absolutely sure, is very necessary.

Yes, I'd like this as well, very much. I agree that it's necessary. It's one of those things you keep working around, wishing you didn't have to have this moment of doubt.

I very much concur with people's sentiments on snap points - to me I'm not getting enough feedback.

I very much like the way Microstation does it as per the attached images. The large white + is the cursor. In the first image, the small white + at the end of the line indicates the closest snap point on the line the cursor is hovering near.

The second image shows what I get when the cursor gets within "range" of the snap point. Here you see the yello X indicating the point that will be snapped to, and the magenta highlighting of the element that is being snapped to.

Are you using sound? Those clicks are a big help. Between them and the cursor cues and different cursor types, I find selection very easy.

For me, the only real problem among the issues discussed above is the pop-up when you inadvertently double-click. Simply not responding at all when the "selected object has no edit behavior" would be very easy to understand. The pop-up feels like I'm being ridiculed and punished for making a mistake.