New line types?

higgins

Anything other than a dash style can be done using the Repetitive Unit.

With this tool, create a symbol of one repeat using lines, circles, text, etc. Choose the Repetitive Unit tool, then choose the newly created symbol. Draw the path the pattern should follow.

Essentially, you can't quite do what you're describing only by defining new line styles. You could find a good vectorscript programmer to make you some new plug-ins that do these kinds of tasks, or look around on the web for plugins that do something close to what you're looking for.

Alternately, you could create symbols that are a chunk of your desired line style, placing them end-to-end for the length needed; but that could get cumbersome and you wouldn't be able to lay them in as simply as drawing a line.

Wish I could be of more assistance.

CD

• 1 month later...

No:

Anything other than a dash style can be done using the Repetitive Unit.

so those of us who need complex line styles have to create symbols, put them into a library somewhere and pray.

In my experience, prayers are not heard - you just don't get what you expected.

I'm still checking out the new features of VW13 from the site, but I'm too anxious to know... Is this feature included now?

Not like it is being discussed here.

As far as the repetative unit option, you can convert an existing polyline into a repetive unit using the "Ojects from Polyline..." command; so at least you wont have to redraw the lines.

The landmark plant tool has funtionality very similar to what is being asked of here. You can draw a polyine and distribute symbols along that line at a user defined interval. Unfortunately, it does not work with line styles, and you can choose only one symbol. While this is not a suitable alternative, at least the technology is already there for modification.