More printer questions

Right now I am using VW on a Gateway PC. I only have a small HP Laserjet 5L for printing. I've got a few printer options, lots of questions, does anyone have any advice for me?

Option1: the guy in the office next door has a Mac system with an Epson Stylus 3000 printer. He said I can use it, but we don't have compatible software. I thought I could cable directly to his Epson, but it's 30 feet away. If I install an ethernet card on his printer, will that take care of it? Do I need a hub or a router because it's 30 feet away? Also, I've heard there's a 17 x 22 format paper available, but I can't find it at Epson's web site. Can the Epson 3000 take 17 x 22 sheets and where do you find this paper?

Option 2: surreptitiously cut a hole in the wall between our offices. Distance now is only 10 feet and perhaps I could use a direct parallel cable? Don't want the landlord to find out about this, though it would be a small hole.

Option 3: break down and buy my own plotter. Ideally I'd like to plot up to 24 x 36 format, though mostly I'd use an 18 x 24 format. B/W printing for residential construction sets mostly. Could anyone recommend a good plotter?. I'd rather spend $2,500 rather than going up to the standard $4,000 price for plotters. The CADjet2 is reasonable at 2,500, but is that compatible with VW? Do I have to buy a RIP and how much does that add? At the HP website the HP DesignJet 430 is billed as "large format printing for individuals and small businesses" and costs 3,500. Could anyone recommend this? Do you have to buy a RIP for this? Also, someone said the DesignJet 488 CA is the only one that's compatible with VW.

Basically, I'm new to VW, I work in a small office, I don't have much technology experience.... any advice on buying a printer/plotter for VW on a PC would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

You should be able to find a used HP 650C plotter for $2000 or less. This plotter is a real workhorse. We have one that is five years old and still going strong. Or, you might try an ENCAD Novajet24 for about $1400 new. HP provides Windows drivers for their plotters, so you should be able to plot from any Windows application. I imagine ENCAD also provides Windows drivers.

Do check it out the driver options, because I'm a Mac user and not an expert on Windows. Try E-bay for a used plotter. I've seen several 650C's there.

• 2 weeks later...