How to change Hatch origins/starting points???????

KyleD

Kyle,

VW uses a global position for all hatch. If you want to reposition individual patterns best thing to do is convert the hatch pattern to lines and move it into the desired position. This takes up alot of memory and requires that you create a larger area of hatch providing enough extra that can be cut and removed once the pattern is in place.

I use textures rather than hatch for tile patterns. Textures may moved (mapped) to a desired position independantly. You can then print to grayscale for presentation. See drawing below constructed using 4 overlay viewports.

Tramore4FPsmall.jpg

Pete A

To continue on what Mike stated...

You can control the angle and starting point of a hatch with respect to an object by using the Hatch menu, which creates a non-associative hatch. In other words, it's not a graphic property of the object, but a new object consisting of lines.

The benefit here is the non-associative hatch can align a bring pattern, for example, so the bottom-left brick starts at the bottom of the wall in elevation, or a lattice pattern appropriately builds from one of the corners.

The first click sets the starting point of the hatch. You'd likely align this with the desired vertex. The second click sets the rotation angle, if you need to rotate the angle in relationship to the object.

Assign the hatch to your object using the Attr Palette, so it's associative.

Next, move the object until the hatch aligns the way you want it, and finally make it into a symbol. This symbol can be moved around in the drawing, with the hatch following every step.

Edited by Gerrit

You can set the starting point of a hatch.

But if you want different objects with the same hatch, but a different starting point, you'll need to make duplicates of the hatch and set each one a different starting point. This way it stays an attribute.

I use this method a lot for floors. So I have duplicates of my 'base' hatch and then call them fe 'living room' etc. So I know which hatch is for which floor.

I now this way you get many hatches in your resource browser, but it's a better way then a non-associative hatch.

Also this is one of the reason the resource browser needs to be changed.

I express a WISH to have associative hatch origin hooked to the carrier object and not only to the document's internal origin. A choice shoud be given among two modus: the present one (internal origin) and a new one to be defined (object origin and direction through a settable vector).

The hatch origin should be editable on the object where it applies.

The hatch origin should be editable with particular detail in walls, should be aware of cavities and be editable in the polygon representing them, cavity by cavity.

This wish opens up a discussion about the details of how it should work. I think this is not the place or the time to discuss this.

I realize this is a big modification in the application, but I am confident that this wish is taken into consideration. It is time to take it into consideration.

Thank you,

Orso