Fundamental dxf problems

jfitch

Question

I have had more than a few problems with the dxf translator. Generally these reveal themselves when exporting from Vectorworks and then importing to another CAD program. In fact there are many cases in which Vectorworks cannot read its own export properly. If there is some way around these problems I would love to hear about them.

Take for example the enclosed file. Export it as dxf or dwg, in 2000 or 2005 versions (probably others too, haven't checked them all). Re-import it. The result is quite obviously different. It is a simple shape with just a few simple vertices.

When the exported file is imported elsewhere (in my case, a CAM program called OneCNC) there are discontinuities and other strange artifacts.

Edited by jfitch

8 answers to this question

It is surprising to me that this could happen for so long (since V10?). When viewed in eDrawings does it have any anomalies or discontinuities? The problem I am having in this particular drawing is in the upper left hand corner, when imported into OneCNC. I am cutting this shape from stainless steel on a CNC milling machine, it goes crazy at that corner.

jfitch -

Please send the file and an explanation of the problem to both tech@nemetschek.net and bugsubmit@nemetschek.net.

Please be sure to include your VW serial number, OS, and VW version number.

Katie,

I did that.

Some further analysis suggests that the main problem was due to the straight line across the top of the shape getting exported as a spline with slight curvature, not a straight line as was drawn. But also the corners, which were drawn as simple 0.25 radius vertices seem to have been exported as a variety of lines, curves, and splines. On this drawing there is no reason to use anything except lines, arcs, and circles - all of which seem to be primitives in DXF. The representation in DXF can be exact. I wonder why all the second guessing at the shape?

How do I attach additional information to the bug report? No number was issued for it.

Jfitch,

Just send an email to bugsubmit@nemetschek.net attaching the file. If you previously sent an email there, resend the email with the file attached and add a note stating the difference between the attached file email and the former email.

Well, I sent the files along with what information I had to tech support, including my telephone number, email address, and a request to be contacted. No response to date. I just ordered 2008 upgrade, wondering if it will be any better? Maybe someone can try that file in 2008 and see.

You won't get a response if you send it to bugsubmit.

If you want, I can import the file for you and send it to you as a VW 12 file to see if the same problem exists.

Please include details if you choose this route.

Katie,

The file is in the opening post to the thread. All you have to do is export it in .dxf, then import the just-exported file back into Vectorworks. The result is obviously different than what you started with.

Vectorworks 12.5.2 (but anything from about V10 on will do it, and maybe before). Macintosh version. OSX 10.4.10 (but that doesn't make any difference).

I don't need the file back, just would like to know in 2008 if you export and then import, do you get something like the same thing? Seems like you should....

Edit: I should add that both the export and import do odd things. The export for example exports the top line as a spline with slight curvature, should be a line. Other radii are changed slightly for no good reason. The import mangles the shape substantially so as to be barely recognizable. Other software will import the exported file more or less correctly (at least it is recognizable).